What would be a good headphone to compare different sound signatures to the DT990 and Fidelio X1?
Oct 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

CptJeff

New Head-Fier
I have the Schiit Stack right now and I got both pairs just recently to compare them against one another. I read up on the HD600 and the AKG 712 Pro and both have me curious. I still am in the return window so I need some advice on what to check out. 

I will eventually move to 2 headphones but for now I need to choose 1. 80% single player gaming and 20% music. The music I listen to ranges really. I occasionally listen to hip hop but mostly classic/hard rock and a tad bit of metal. I want something different from the X1 and 990s. But I don't want to completely get rid of the bass. Maybe something to put some emphasis on the guitars and vocals. This will be my only can for quite awhile so single player game immersion is vital. 

I am also at a loss as to whether I should get a closed can to compare. I want to make a decision today so it can be ordered asap. Thanks a bunch!

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 6
  I have the Schiit Stack right now and I got both pairs just recently to compare them against one another. I read up on the HD600 and the AKG 712 Pro and both have me curious. I still am in the return window so I need some advice on what to check out. 

I will eventually move to 2 headphones but for now I need to choose 1. 80% single player gaming and 20% music. The music I listen to ranges really. I occasionally listen to hip hop but mostly classic/hard rock and a tad bit of metal. I want something different from the X1 and 990s. But I don't want to completely get rid of the bass. Maybe something to put some emphasis on the guitars and vocals. This will be my only can for quite awhile so single player game immersion is vital. 

I am also at a loss as to whether I should get a closed can to compare. I want to make a decision today so it can be ordered asap. Thanks a bunch!

What about HE400i?

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 6
  At $500 its too expensive tbh

I would like to keep it around $350 or below

Edit- Probably should have specified that in the OP

Well, Fidelio X1 have dark treble and warm midbass. DT990s have bright treble and warm midbass. You should look into more neutral headphones to contrast.

If you like X1s over DT990s, Sennheiser HD650 should be really appealing (except maybe for their price tag)

Then you have Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT880, both neutral headphones with slight differences. DT880s for guitar sparkle, HD600 for smoother voices.

You should also consider the AudioTechnica AD900x and AD1000x which are said to be very nice for female vocals.

AKG K712 could do the trick, I'm not sure how they compare in terms of bass with the others.

HE400 are also in your price range if you are interested in the 'planar magnetic midrange' and powerful bass.

Based on what I've read SoundMagic HP200 are something between DT990s and HD650

Best Luck!

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 6
I ordered the K712s. I really don't want to get into buying amps and mixing and matching so I would like to stick with the stack. Is it too much or too little for all the mentioned headphones? 

I was eyeing up the He400. Main concern was driving the planar headphones.

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 6
  I ordered the K712s. I really don't want to get into buying amps and mixing and matching so I would like to stick with the stack. Is it too much or too little for all the mentioned headphones? 

I was eyeing up the He400. Main concern was driving the planar headphones.

Schiit Magni has plenty of power for the headphones listed.

Hifiman HE-400 need 5 times less power than AKG K712 to reach 90 dB according to Tyll's (innerfidelity) measurements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back