What would be a good complimentary set to go with the Grado SR-225?
Jul 13, 2005 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hardbop

100+ Head-Fier
I think I've decided to get two sets of headphones, instead of trying to find a single jack-of-all-trades type phone to meet my needs.

The SR-225 has my eye and ear after a brief audition, so I'd like to upgrade from my 80's. I've also come to appreciate how the Grados reproduce jazz. I would also like a wider soundstage/headstage.

Now I need to find a headphone that does for classical, acoustic, and opera/vocal, what Grado does for rock. So which headphone would compliment Grado's specialization on the other side of the spectrum?

I'm going to be pairing them with a Micro stack, or possibly a Portable Desktop amp from HeadRoom. Portability, style and type takes a backseat to sound, but I would prefer open or semi-open. Another small factor would be gaming. I've started using my Grados when I play video games, so I'm taking that into consideration, too.

I believe this will be a final purchase to round out my headphone stable. You know the nature of this hobby/obsession, though. I still may end up spending the money in a less indulgent way, but I hope not.

Thanks for the input.

Jul 13, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 7
The Beyer dt880's, or Sennheiser hd600/650. would make a good alternate to your SR225's.

"I believe this will be a final purchase."
I wonder how many thousands (or more) of dollars have been spent using this rationalization? I know I've used it at least a couple times myself.

- augustwest

Jul 13, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 7
^ what he said
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 7
Throw in the 580's and 595's too. All are on the other side of the fence compared to Grado forwardness.

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 7
I also have SR-225 for rock/blues/jazz. K-501 are awesome for classical and accoustic music with thier enormous airy suondstage and perfect instrument separation.

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 7
I have the 225s and a pair of 580s and find them very complimentary. The Sennheisers (any of those mentioned) will give you the bigger soundstage you're looking for and are more comfortable than the Grados, for me anyway.

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 7
How well do you like the sound of the 225's? If you really enjoy that detail on the high end you might not like the 'veiled' sound from other phones. I've found this out when I auditioned the HD-595's. I really thought I'd be coming home with a pair that night, but after listening to them I couldn't stand the almost muffled sound that they produced compared to my Grado's. I even prefered classical and acoustic music on my Grado's over the Senn's.

That being said, I've heard the DT-880's would probably be the best match for me...you might want to try there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back