What would $300 - $400 buy me over an ODAC?
Feb 25, 2013 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dhodgeh

New Head-Fier
Greetings

I've been on a bit of a shoot out between budget DACs (< $200) over that past few weeks.

I'm wanting to drive a system I have setup for my office, which consist of my notebook with my music library -> DAC -> Bottlehead S.E.X. -> Blumenstien Orcas.

My musical taste are all over the place, with guitar oriented music (rock, shred, jazz, acoustic) being most prominent.  I do also listen to ambient, and electronica/trance.  Tend to stay away from pop and country styles.

Anyway, over the past three months, I've tried an Audioengine D1, Aune T1, and Schiit Modi, and quite honestly, I did not detect a great deal of difference between these units.

However, I got an ODAC and noticed definite difference over those previous three.  Not really up on the lingo to describe the sonic differences, but I would have to say to sound is more open, much improved bass response, and an overall more realistic sound stage.

I'm now at the point where I feel any other improvement will mean spending more money (will be selling those other three to recoup some funds).  So, I'm wondering what the next level (+/- $500) would bring over the ODAC?  

Will definitely be staying with USB, so other inputs are not really necessary.

Any suggestions, or should I just be happy with the ODAC and spend that money on more music.

TIA

D

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 2
Hum Beyer T1 + SPL Auditor  and ODAC compared to Audio GD NFB-2/17.2 => at volume matched with decibel meter sounded identical  to me .
redface.gif

You can always try other dacs etc but it's safer to spend your money on music or headphones or speakers
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back