What will your Pico dac setup look like?
Apr 7, 2009 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jeffreyj900

Headphoneus Supremus
I'll start. I have wanted a dac for a while. Figured this would be a good way to get my foot in the door so to speak. I will not use mine on the go except on vacation. I plan to use it with my PC->Zana Duex->HD-650 or RS-1. I have burned a lot of my CDs to Flac. I also have a Mac Book Pro that I will use it with.

I suspect the dac is tiny so I'll need to figure a way to secure it to my rack?

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 20
It's going to be my temporary DAC going to Bedini 25/25 -> Quad ESL 57
After that, I'll probably use it for my Stax setup

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 20
I have the Pico amp/DAC but if not using it with my iPod, I attach it to the back of my laptop screen/lid with Velcro and use a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect to my Corda Cross-1, then to Aphex 204, then Central Station, then to WA3. That's a lot of stuff!

I like that idea to put it inside the 22.

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 20
Lots of good ideas with the Pico.

+1 on the pics, Smeggy nice idea w/ the B22.

I'll be using my Pico amp/DAC to a RudiStor NX-33 to balanced Denon D2k's with markl mods and wooden cups. Next piece is a Lavry DA-11 to go fully balanced. Love the portability of the Pico amp/DAC for the go.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 20
This DAC isn't nearly in the same league with the Zana Deux. If that's your main use for the Pico then save your money and go for something much better. I use the Pico for traveling. For home use I use the Empirical Audio Offramp Turbo 2 feeding into a Channel Islands Audio VDA-2 DAC. This is a superb combo but is over $1500. Perhaps the TubeDAC would be a decent choice.

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 20
I had someone else ask me about this. To sum up.... Didn't want to spend a lot, like the looks of the Pico dac, read good things about the dac, and I think re-sale will be good "if" I decide to go that route. If I don't then I may re-acquire a hornet
biggrin.gif

I had intended to get a Bel Canto Dac3, but purchased a Mac Book Pro instead. This will allow me to determine if I want to spend the money on a nice dac. I am very satisfied with my CD player.

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 20
Actually you can't compare the two directly. The Pico DAC takes it's signal from a computer via USB whereas the CI-Audio VDA-2 only accepts an S/PDIF signal either by coax cable or toslink. To get from a computer to the VDA-2 you need an adapter that converts the signal from USB to S/PDIF. For that I use the Empirical Audio Offramp Turbo 2 which cost $1000 (it's since been replaced with the Offramp Turbo 3). So this is why I said over $1500 versus $500. The VDA-2 is about $600 or so and I also have the upgrade power supply for about $200.
So in terms of cost it's not fair to compare them and in terms of quality there is no comparison, but that may be because of the EA Offramp Turbo.

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #11 of 20
Eh I had a Pico unit that had the amp bypassed and I'd disagree that the CI-Audio VDA-2 is vastly superior to the Pico DAC. I think this may be more a personal preference thing then a clear cut different tiering....

And I'm familiar with the Offramp and feel it is vastly overpriced for what it does... maybe if it did Async USB... but even then 1k?

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #14 of 20
My plan is use it as a transportable and have it at work between my Dell Mini9 and my TTVJ Portable Millet Hybrid feeding either my AT-ESW10JPN or Ultrasone Edition 8. I am already using the regular Pico and this setup now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back