what will you buy in 2005?
Jan 4, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #76 of 87
mod up my 0404

hmm, a portable dvd player for the car/bedroom.

um...that's it?

Jan 4, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #78 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave31415
Stax Omega II
KGSS amp
New preamp

That's a pretty impressive list, lol
biggrin.gif
600smile.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #79 of 87
In 2005 I plan to buy no new audio equipment of any sort. I have more than enough at the moment, and I'm content with my present options.

The only thing that makes me uneasy is that I didn't plan to buy any of that stuff that found its way to my door in 2004 either.
rolleyes.gif

BW

Jan 4, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #80 of 87
If I have some extra cash lying around during 2005 then I'll probably look into buying a pair of A900's. As for higher end cans... that's a distant maybe depending on the funds.

Jan 4, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #81 of 87
Replacement cable for HD25-1s
Lots of music

That are the only things I feel I "need".

In the back of my head there is a speaker upgrade, can't get those Chario Constellation Lynx speakers of my mind. But the problem is the listening room.
And the RS-1s and SR-71 are always attracting my attention.
And a batterypack for the Classic might be in the future too.

But really, I'm very happy with the MS-1s and Classic combo. And the KEF Q1 are nice for the small room they're in so I don't feel I need more. If I'm buying more in future it's all the fault of head-fi with all it's member flashing around their pretty gear.
tongue.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #82 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
In the back of my head there is a speaker upgrade, can't get those Chario Constellation Lynx speakers of my mind.

Lisa, in my opinion your Q1 is probably better than the Chario.
Well, at least in my own taste, which is directed towards the so-called
'british sound'.
My guesses are that the Q1 should have tighter bass and sound more rigorous & coherent & melodic overall, while the Italians may be more captivating at first but less satisfactory in the long run.
But then, I only recently heard some floorstanding Charios (I think from the same series - not really bad, not so good to me), and never heard the Kef.

---

As for me -- my first buy will be... guess what... new speakers.
I should've bought an HD595, but fortune (...) has eventually 'forced' me to go back looking into speakers (actually my 1st present 'urgency').
New 'phones to come later on anyway...
smily_headphones1.gif

And it's high time to refresh my collection of records. Want more of Tom Waits, of Gillian Welch, of Elvis Costello, etc. etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #83 of 87
I always vow not to buy anything at the start of each year.
smily_headphones1.gif
That, however, never goes according to plan. hehe

Jan 4, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #84 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Lisa, in my opinion your Q1 is probably better than the Chario.
Well, at least in my own taste, which is directed towards the so-called
'british sound'.
My guesses are that the Q1 should have tighter bass and sound more rigorous & coherent & melodic overall, while the italians may be more captivating at first but less satisfactory in the long run.
But then, I only recently heard some floorstanding Charios (I think from the same series - not really bad, not so good to me), and never heard the Kef.

Auditioned them both at home. The ONLY reason I didn't go for the Chario was the bass. In a (very) small room it's a bit too much. The Kef Q1 has that inviting Grado sound that grabs you straight of but can get fatigueing in the long run. The Chario has better treble. Highs extent far, but not sibilant. Airy sound, room between instruments. But big sloppy bass in a small room.
The Kef has poor treble and bass extension and is a bit grainy but fun to listen to when you boost the bass and treble. Stil IMO the Chario is much, much better overall.

Jan 4, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #85 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Auditioned them both at home. The ONLY reason I didn't go for the Chario was the bass. In a (very) small room it's a bit too much. The Kef Q1 has that inviting Grado sound that grabs you straight of but can get fatigueing in the long run. The Chario has better treble. Highs extent far, but not sibilant. Airy sound, room between instruments. But big sloppy bass in a small room.
The Kef has poor treble and bass extension and is a bit grainy but fun to listen to when you boost the bass and treble. Stil IMO the Chario is much, much better overall.

Oh well, you annihilated me
tongue.gif
Anyway my liking stays with Kef... even if it were only for that heavy looking woody cosmetics of the Charios... the Kef are so pretty...
icon10.gif

I just posted a thread on speakers on the other sub-forum, your advice would be welcome.

Jan 4, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #86 of 87
I really don't NEED anything, but since when does that matter
600smile.gif

1. Will listen to Sony 010 my next trip to Vegas
2. Considering getting into vinyl, since I already own about 300 LPs that I used to play, most in good to excellent condition. But what a hassle to set up maintain and do in general. I keep looking and thinking....maybe a super scoutmaster.
3. A pair of Epos M5 for the bedroom...on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back