What will it take?
Jun 6, 2003 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SteveA

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All!

What will it (or did it) take to make you buy an SACD and / or DVD-A player? I’m curious about the thought process and reasoning others have used to make this determination as I struggle to do so myself.

I’m certain for some; it was the need to stay on top of technology or to have the newest toy. That’s fine for many but doesn’t work for me. Hell, I use vacuum tubes in my audio system, have a house full of 19th century mechanical clocks, and drive an automotive anachronism. Technology holds no thrall over me! Plus, being an engineer and knowing that new technology usually means teething problems and bugs, I’m willing to wait for some natural maturation to occur.

For others, particularly those with integrated sound & home theater systems, a component that can play DVDs, blue book CDs, SACDs and/or DVD-As is attractive. Those folks likely have the equipment to support surround hence another reason to buy. I don’t have either situation and do most of my listening at work through headphones.

Are there any releases that have been available only in high (digital, not analog!) resolution format that have pushed some over the brink? That’s what it took to get me to buy into CD in 1986. There was music that I wanted that was not being released on vinyl and that did it. Looking at the available releases for SACD and DVD-A and ignoring the surround mixes, there is nothing that I want that I cannot buy in blue book CD.

Am I missing something or should I continue to wait until the format wars settle out (if they do) and more music becomes available?

Very best regards,
Steve

Jun 6, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 3
Think of it this way, vinyl still sounds better than CD's after 18 years since your 1986 crossover. IMHO

Jun 6, 2003 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 3
The release of these discs:

DVD-A
Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Queen - A Night at the Opera
Queen - The Game
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me
Al Green - Greatest Hits

SACD
Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
Trane - A Love Supreme
EWF - Gratitude
Bill Evans - Waltz for Debbie

I saw and heard those releases and realized it was time to get down to business.
All these Hi-Res releases are better than my CD copies. Even the expensive jazz stuff from XRCD and Analogue Productions.
These discs are close to vinyl in resolution. The ELP and Yes are superior to my vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back