What Will I need to Play My Electric Guitar Through my Headphones?
Jun 13, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:
Are you going to stick to only playing through your headphones for a long time or investing in a proper amp later? You sound like you might be expecting a bit too much from an headphone amp, to be honest. It's really just meant to be a practise tool to allow you to hear yourself, not to get awesome tone out of. Save your money for a proper amp and get yourself a cheap headphone amp. It won't sound amazing, but don't expect it to.

I personally have used an iPad along with an iRig and an app called AmpKit. It's as good as can be expected and does a fine job of what exactly I need it to, which is to allow me to hear myself and get some riffs down that I would otherwise forget. But I'm not going to perform onstage with it or make an album with it.

EDIT: also, don't get too hung up on reviews or you'll never buy anything and will always be wondering if that other product that the other people online preferred would be better. You could be spending the time far more usefully, like by actually playing your instrument :p.

I already have a kind of decent-ish amp (honestly, I don't know how good it is. Got it second hand from a friend of a family member)  in the basement, but it's too large to travel with, and the basement is a very out of the way place, making putting off practice too easy. I'm getting the headphone amp for the sake of travel, and eliminating excuses. And I don't want to bother anyone with my attempts at rockstardom. So, the headphone amp would, at least for now, be my main amp.

Thanks for the advice. I've always have gotten hung up on reviews. Comes with the territory of being Stingy. I don't have a problem with spending money, but dammit, I want to get every last drop out of it.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #17 of 20
I already have a kind of decent-ish amp (honestly, I don't know how good it is. Got it second hand from a friend of a family member)  in the basement, but it's too large to travel with, and the basement is a very out of the way place, making putting off practice too easy. I'm getting the headphone amp for the sake of travel, and eliminating excuses. And I don't want to bother anyone with my attempts at rockstardom. So, the headphone amp would, at least for now, be my main amp.

Thanks for the advice. I've always have gotten hung up on reviews. Comes with the territory of being Stingy. I don't have a problem with spending money, but dammit, I want to get every last drop out of it.

No worries, I completely get where you're coming from and agree with your philosophy of stinginess. But I've also learnt that with some things, all I need is the bare minimum so paying the bare minimum is fine. So with this I bought a crappy knockoff that lets me hear myself although it has feedback like no one's business. It's fine, I can deal, if I wanna sound amazing, my half stack is waiting in my office. Spend the money where it's important, otherwise spend the least you can get away with whilst still getting what you need out of something. Another kind of philosophy on stinginess, I suppose :D.

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #18 of 20
You always could use a Marshall Mini amp. Has a headphone out jack as well.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSHMS2

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #19 of 20
Thanks for the help everyone! Going to hold off for now. Not rolling in cash currently, and it isn't an imminent need. Feel free to keep suggesting other models/alternatives, if you happen to stumble across some.

Thanks again!

Dec 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #20 of 20
as far as amps go, id suggest tbe Peavy Vyper 15. (http://www.peavey.com/products/vypyr/) it's got tons of disortions and effects, and its a great amp. also, it can be used with headphones and aux. plus the onboard tuner is nice. and its pretty cheap, only like 99 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back