What Will I need to Play My Electric Guitar Through my Headphones?
Jun 11, 2013 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

im0watching0you

New Head-Fier
Uhh, yeah. Don't really know what to add to this. If you have any questions that need to be answered before you can suggest a solution, just ask them! I'll make sure to reply quickly.

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 20
Got it. Now, just one more question; Would you suggest that converter over others, or could I get a better one for a little more cash? (Sorry, I am painfully ignorant when it comes to all things audio. :frowning2:

Either way, thanks for the help!

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 20
The Fiio would be fine if you always want to play "clean." But if you want more than that, I'd recommend looking into something like the Rockman amps (Guitar Ace and Metal Ace models).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rockman-Guitar-Ace-Headphone-Amp-100305327-i1124980.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rockman-Metal-Ace-Headphone-Amp-180256-i1124981.gc

se

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
The Fiio would be fine if you always want to play "clean." But if you want more than that, I'd recommend looking into something like the Rockman amps (Guitar Ace and Metal Ace models).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rockman-Guitar-Ace-Headphone-Amp-100305327-i1124980.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rockman-Metal-Ace-Headphone-Amp-180256-i1124981.gc

se

I've only just started learning guitar, so it seems a little overkill to spend that much, but I suppose I'm better off buying quality now. Ultimately, I'd like to play hard rock and metal, so it's probably best to go for the Rockman... Assuming I do go for Rockman, which one would I be better off with? What exactly are the differences?

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

I've only just started learning guitar, so it seems a little overkill to spend that much, but I suppose I'm better off buying quality now. Ultimately, I'd like to play hard rock and metal, so it's probably best to go for the Rockman... Assuming I do go for Rockman, which one would I be better off with? What exactly are the differences?

Even if you're just learning to play, it's nice to have some proper distortion if you're looking to play rock.

I can't say I know the differences between the two units. My experience was with the old original Tom Scholz Rockman from back in the 80's.

Another option, if you have an iPhone, iPad would be to get something like the Garageband app and an Apogee Jam to interface your guitar to your i-device.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php?gclid=CPPNwJXg3bcCFRHhQgodkU4Apg

Even if you don't use Garageband to do any recording, it has some great amp simulators and effects in it.

se

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 20
I've got an iPod that's on its last legs, definitely not trustworthy enough.

The two models you suggested me seem to get very mixed reviews, with a lot of people loving it, a lot of people saying they don't like it since it doesn't compare to the older models, and others who are just "meh" on it... Guess I'll keep looking! If I'm going to spend upwards of 70 dollars, I'm going to be damn sure that I get something good. Thanks for the help nonetheless!

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 20
Are you going to stick to only playing through your headphones for a long time or investing in a proper amp later? You sound like you might be expecting a bit too much from an headphone amp, to be honest. It's really just meant to be a practise tool to allow you to hear yourself, not to get awesome tone out of. Save your money for a proper amp and get yourself a cheap headphone amp. It won't sound amazing, but don't expect it to.

I personally have used an iPad along with an iRig and an app called AmpKit. It's as good as can be expected and does a fine job of what exactly I need it to, which is to allow me to hear myself and get some riffs down that I would otherwise forget. But I'm not going to perform onstage with it or make an album with it.

EDIT: also, don't get too hung up on reviews or you'll never buy anything and will always be wondering if that other product that the other people online preferred would be better. You could be spending the time far more usefully, like by actually playing your instrument :p.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
I've got an iPod that's on its last legs, definitely not trustworthy enough.

The two models you suggested me seem to get very mixed reviews, with a lot of people loving it, a lot of people saying they don't like it since it doesn't compare to the older models, and others who are just "meh" on it... Guess I'll keep looking! If I'm going to spend upwards of 70 dollars, I'm going to be damn sure that I get something good. Thanks for the help nonetheless!

You can find original Tom Scholz Rockmans on the used market.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back