What were your largest and most radical Hifi gear changes?
May 19, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #16 of 42
The most radical change to be made to my hifi system is probably what WILL happen, not what has happened already

I am gathering the information, the funds, and the data as we speak to look into trading in my old Ohm Model B's for a new pair of Ohm MicroWalsh Talls (or shorts, if money is "short)
wink.gif
- and yes, I will be getting 25% off of my purchase because of this. I am very happy about that!
smily_headphones1.gif

After that will be an amp upgrade - probably something with tubes. Vintage equipment is all I have now regarding Hi-Fi, and even though it works great, I think that newer electronics would give a much better sound.

May 19, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #17 of 42
I've told this story before, but it answers this question directly:

For me, one purchase easily was the 90-degree hi-fi turn in my life. Somewhere in the vicinity of 20 years ago, I was still interested in having good electronics and hi-fi equipment, but I was happy with the following:
A 55-watt 2-channel Yamaha receiver
(2) Optimus bookshelf speakers
(2) no-name bookshelf speakers that I put on top of the Optimus to make it look like a tower speaker set-up : so cool was I
I was satisfied with the set-up. It wasn't audiophile quality, but I was a young parent with a young kid, living in an apartment scraping by. We had saved money to take a trip to Florida to visit relatives, so we spent a week down there. A couple of days before we left, one of my Optimus speakers blew, so I knew when I got back I would have to do something. We spent wisely in Florida, and I came back with a little over $500 in my pocket. My wife actually sent me out to replace the speakers.
I worked for my father-in-law as an accountant (now CPA), and one of our clients was a hi-0end audio/video store. I always loved looking, but couldn't afford much of what he sold. Well, I figured that would be my first stop, as the wife asked that I keep my purchase to around $200 for new speakers.
As I pull up to the parking lot of the store and get out of the car, there is this gentleman walking into the store holding a fairly large speaker. I follow this person in, and the owner greets me at the door. As always, my curiosity gets the better of me, and I ask what's up with the guy that just came into the store. The owner says something like this:
When rich people move, they need boxes to pack things. Instead of finding a box for these speakers, this person brought in the speakers to trade up to the next model that were already in boxes. I come to find out the person was Garin Veris of the New England Patriots, and the speakers were ADS-1290 towers. I can't remember exactly how much a pair cost back then, but I'm pretty sure they were somewhere around $2,000. I also come to find out the speakers were only a little over a month old with no use. So of course I must ask - how much do you want for the speakers. The owners response was "How much do you have?" So I pull the cash out of my pocket and start counting - $100, $200, $300, $400, $500 - GRAB. The owner takes the $500 and says take the speakers.
They barely fit in my Toyota Corolla, and man-o-man the look on my wifes face when she came in the door that evening and saw these tower speakers. Of course she was mad at first until she heard them.
Twenty years later they are still my favorite item of all of my audio equipment, and they started my meteoric rise to owning stock in Tweeter Etc (not really, but the amount of money I've spent at Tweeter deserves a stock certificate) and having more audio/video equipment than most people I know.

May 19, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #19 of 42
The entire system in my Profile was built to replace a set of Cambridge Soundworks Digital speakers that got blown by a brownout during the big power failure a few years ago.

It was either that, or buy a car.

May 20, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #20 of 42
Marantz CD6000OSE > Classè CDP-10. In comparison to the Classè, the Marantz was coarse, grainy, overly warm sounding and with a bloated bass. Mind you, I still like the CD6000OSE, it has quite a charm, but the CDP-10 is just so much more true to life. It has a gentle, airy yet assured sound with a very high level of integrity.

I compared it with a Meridian 588 before making a decision. It too was very impressive, but the Classé had everything what the Meridian had, but then something extra, a kind of hones, warm personality which appealed to me.

May 20, 2005 at 12:04 PM Post #21 of 42
Nice work Glod. I did something similar.

Marantz CD6000OSE > Meridian G08. I was fed up with minor upgrades so decided to go the whole hog. Almost as revolutionary as the day I got my first pair of real phones (Grado SR80's; these got me addicted to this headphone lark, curse them, ignorance is (was) bliss). I do find myself listending to speakers a lot more now and headphones only when I have to be quiet. Is that blasphemy round these parts?

May 20, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #23 of 42
Sony DVD players>Meridian 508.20 (twice)
no. wait.
Total BitHead>HR-2
no.
PPX3>Stealth.
wait
MMF-5>Scout
hmmm
AKG K240M>HD650
or maybe
e2c>er4p/s
ok
Phase linear pwr amp>ARC VS-55
no
TotalBitHead>SR-71
mabe it was
AR bookshelves>VonSchweikert VR-1 w/ VRS-1 sub
or...
CPW

May 20, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiggins
Nice work Glod. I did something similar.

Marantz CD6000OSE > Meridian G08. I was fed up with minor upgrades so decided to go the whole hog. Almost as revolutionary as the day I got my first pair of real phones (Grado SR80's; these got me addicted to this headphone lark, curse them, ignorance is (was) bliss). I do find myself listending to speakers a lot more now and headphones only when I have to be quiet. Is that blasphemy round these parts?

Well, I gave up speakers when we moved to a house with very tricky acoustic properties. I just couldn't get the positioning as I wanted.

BTW I listened to the G08 once briefly but couldn't tell any difference to the 588. Same impeccable solid sound which just sounded right.

EDIT: Fine CDP's those Meridians, forgot to say that
biggrin.gif
, although I found the 508.XX to have an exaggerated bass.

May 21, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #27 of 42
In the period of 2-3 months, I went from a complete solid state hifi rig (revel gem speakers, REL sub, Rowland monoblocks, and BAT preamp) to an all tube rig (Audionote E, Meishu, DAC 3.1x, etc.). And i've never been happier...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #28 of 42
CD Players - I went from a cheap Technics CD changer to a CAL CL-5, then traded up to a CL-10. After about 10 years I'm still a CAL sound fan.
Speakers - Videoton D132E Minimax 2's ($79/pair, 4.5"x8"x9") to JBL 4311's
- B&W Matrix 805's to Joseph Audio RM25si's. I finally have the lower octaves that the 805's couldn't push.
Amplifiers - Bryston 3B-ST to McIntosh MC7270
Headphones - IXOS dj1003 to Beyer DT831 + DT880 + Senn HD600 + maxed-out home PPA. You all know the familiar sad story. Drugs would be cheaper but nowhere near as much fun!

May 21, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #30 of 42
Selling my upgraded VPI Scout and buying a high end cdp (Bernedsen CDP-1). My vinyl fix now comes from an mmf-5. I spent 75% of my time listening to cd's it made sense to invest more money in the digital source and less into analog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back