What Was Your Longest Case of Ear Buzzing?
Sep 23, 2008 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nuphones

Head-Fier
Currently, I'm at about a week and a half, with only occasional (but complete) relief. In the past, I don't think it's ever been longer than a few weeks. I've had frequent bouts of buzzing for a day or two after loud clubs and amplified music.

What was the longest bout you've had buzzing then had it gone away?

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 12
About five days after a miserable Rob Zombie/Monster Magnet/Fear Factory show a few years back. Zombie was so loud it just sounded like "ssshckssskhchskhccskhccskkkssccsssshhhh....". We left early, and I had a high pitched "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!" for the next five days. I hate Rob Zombie...

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 12
Twenty years or so and counting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuphones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... then had it gone away?

EDIT: Oops, I missed this part.

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 12
5 days for me, after 3 hours of Dream Theater.
Seriously, get some decent ear plugs and use them. I have some now and will be using them if going to any concert, I use them during loud passages playing in an orchestra too.

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 12
If I drink too much caffiene or aspartame I can get very loud ringing that lasts for a few seconds to a few minutes. Worst one lasted about 8 minutes. Really scared me, thought it wasn't going to go away. BTW, I'm talking about loud ringing, not the low level of tinnitus that people can hear when ambient sound is very quiet.

-Ed

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 12
FYI: Buzzing means permanent hearing damage. Your ears have a surface covered with hairs that moves like a wave when it recieves sound, the hairs vibrate and pass this movement onto your auditory nerves. The louder the sound is, the more drastic the movements are. This can damage these hairs and when you hear ringing or buzzing, it's the hairs that have become damaged and are still sending sound signals to your brain.

Once they are damaged, they stay damaged. And if destroyed, they stay destroyed. If you continue to abuse them you will end up with constant ringing/buzzing (tinnitus) or reduced hearing in certain freqencies. I just hope I haven't done too much damage already.

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I drink too much caffiene or aspartame I can get very loud ringing that lasts for a few seconds to a few minutes. Worst one lasted about 8 minutes. Really scared me, thought it wasn't going to go away. BTW, I'm talking about loud ringing, not the low level of tinnitus that people can hear when ambient sound is very quiet.

-Ed

Caffine? Maybe I should watch how much coffee I drink at work
tongue.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 12
elliot, has your situation gotten better in the last few days? Seriously, there should be a law against playing music at that volume. At the VERY least there should be a very very noticeable written disclaimer on all tickets sold and free earplugs given away.

Sep 23, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 12
This was in January. My ears were ringing and muffled for about 2 days, then they were less muffled but still ringing. Days 4 and 5 were better but I could still hear some ringing when it was quiet.

Free earplugs would be good at events. I would have brought some, but I was very unorganised that day.. too excited about the concert
tongue.gif
I even forgot sunscreen and a hat for waiting in line
mad.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 12
Usually after a concert I only have the ringing for several hours. One thing I noticed is that I am usually down in the mosh pit and it seems a bit quieter down there than up in the stands. Once I was at a Marylin Manson show and we could only get seats in the lower balcony. That felt like the loudest concert I have ever been to. My ears rang for more than two days. I was really getting worried. No pit or no, I wear ear plugs.

I did find that plugs aren't fool proof by any means. Once at the gun range my hearing protection fell out of my right ear. I went completely deaf in that ear for two days. I really thought I was doomed. I did feel a LOT happier when the ear started ringing and sound started coming through. It all passed in about a week. I have yet to go to an audiologist to see how damaged I might be, but I can still hear very well out of that ear.

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 12
Here's a slightly different question. For those of you who deal with buzzing or ringing longer than just a day or two, are there times when it just goes away? I've been dealing with this about a week and a half, and on a couple of occasions, it's simply disappeared on its own, then re-emerged again, in some weird, unpredictable cycle.

Sep 25, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuphones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a slightly different question. For those of you who deal with buzzing or ringing longer than just a day or two, are there times when it just goes away? I've been dealing with this about a week and a half, and on a couple of occasions, it's simply disappeared on its own, then re-emerged again, in some weird, unprdictable cycle.

I hope the damage that caused the-week-and-a-half-long-buzz did not made your ears over-sensitive.. It seems to me that you get that buzz again now with even small exposures to loud sounds..

I wish your problem goes away completely at the end. Because I had mine for about a week too after being half a meter away from a speaker for about 5 hours in a metal bar, and I know how bad it feels that it makes you feel that it won't ever go away
frown.gif
I'm okay now by the way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back