What was your first rig?
Feb 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

DigitalFreak

镇老鹰
Everyone on here was at one time a noob when it came to mid/high level audio. As a current noob who slowly over the last few weeks has started to become more educated about this cool hobby I'm curious about some of the veterans on this site. Share with the community the very first rig you ever invested in and why you chose those specific components. If you have any pictures or maybe a funny story relating to your first rig please feel free to also share. Let everyone know if you were initially disappointed or blown away with your very first rig.

gs1000.gif
Cheers
gs1000.gif

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 32
Fisher Price Cassette player. I loved it, a really musical presentation but it kinda sacrificed neutrality. I eventually sold it in favor of a Speak'n'Spell for it's more interesting features.

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 32
Back in the early, early 1970's, my mom worked at Midland Electronics, and I bought thru her employee discount a BOTL Midland stereo receiver (my brother bought the TOTL), a BSR 310X turntable, and a pair of nasty speakers whose only redeeming feature was the REAL walnut veneer.  I still have the speakers, now highly modded.  The receiver was replaced by a Marantz 1030, and the TT was replaced with a Technics 1500.  Good speakers took longer.

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 32
An iPod Mini with some $10 Sony running headphones, the orange and white and really breakable ones. I was blown away by it at the time, but it pails in comparison to anything worthy of Head-fi.

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 32

Quote:
Some sort of portable CD player with whatever the stock headphones were that came with them. Those things always ripped hairs from my head every time I took them off..

Oh god, those!

I especially hated the ones that said "no-skip ADVANCED SKIP PROTECTION" and restarted the song whenever you took them off of a flat surface. 
angry_face.gif

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 32
my fathers sony Cassette walkman with some old koss circumaural headphones, cant remember the name.
and mine was a sony discman with the Jensen JF 31(?). i thought it was awesome, i reconstructed not so long ago and tunrs out it was too dark and muddy

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #11 of 32
Yes this, so many damaged beyond repair CD's that you either had to give up or spend your allowance on a new one. Man I remember just dreading the day the CD players finally died out or got dropped and broke..

Quote:
Oh god, those!

I especially hated the ones that said "no-skip ADVANCED SKIP PROTECTION" and restarted the song whenever you took them off of a flat surface. 
angry_face.gif

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #12 of 32
i remember those, they were like this:

and i read the portapross do the same?

Depends on how long your hair is, but there is a sweet spot from about 1/2"-2" that I think is the worst for hair-ripping.

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #13 of 32

Quote:
Some sort of portable CD player with whatever the stock headphones were that came with them. Those things always ripped hairs from my head every time I took them off..

Hey! I remember those! Though I'd first had my experience of those with cassette walkmans. 

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #14 of 32
First post here. WOOP.

anyways my first player of any kind was when i was 8 y/o or so and it was some Phillips portable CD player with whatever headphones came with it. Those eventually broke and i bought some nice $10 sony clip ons. I was a high roller back then. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back