What was your first mp3 player...?
Nov 2, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #33 of 63
Quote:
Rio Carbon! ('Pearl' version)

Great little device. Nice to hold, with a well thought out, intuitive design (soft- and hardware). Clickwheel worked great, and as far as I can remember it sounded good too. It did have a (5 gig) 1 inch micro hard disk, so yes, it could skip during tracks. It might sound strange now, but comming from a portable discman, it was somewhat of a magical experience to be able to play all these songs with no (visible) moving parts.
Very sturdy player, but unfortunately that could'nt be said of it's company. RIP, Rio.
Video: cnettv.cnet.com/rio-carbon-pearl/9742-1_53-20427.html
Wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Carbon

Great MP3 player? I recently won a silver Rio Carbon on Ebay for less than 15 euro with shipping included! Battery life isn't the best, but it probably is over 4 hours and that's acceptable. The Carbon is a great little player. Compared to newer MP3 players it sounds very good.

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #34 of 63
Quote:
Creative Zen Touch 20GB, still have it and works, would it be worth swapping the hdd for ide-CF adapter and a cf card, and getting a new battery for it?

I did that with my Zen Touch 40GB. You just put the CF card in the adapter and plug it into the motherboard and in the boot menu choose to format and then reinstall firmware and you ahve a CF card modded Zen Touch! The only downside is that you have to have update firmware with a computer running Windows XP. I think it might not work with newer Windows versions...

After doing that mod the volume buttons on the motherboard broke and I bought a cheap 20GB Zen Touch from Ebay and put motherboard and everything from the 20GB inside my old 40GB. I just changed battery to a new one...

Nov 3, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #35 of 63
Rio Carbon! ('Pearl' version)

Great little device. Nice to hold, with a well thought out, intuitive design (soft- and hardware). Clickwheel worked great, and as far as I can remember it sounded good too. It did have a (5 gig) 1 inch micro hard disk, so yes, it could skip during tracks. It might sound strange now, but comming from a portable discman, it was somewhat of a magical experience to be able to play all these songs with no (visible) moving parts.
Very sturdy player, but unfortunately that could'nt be said of it's company. RIP, Rio.
Video: cnettv.cnet.com/rio-carbon-pearl/9742-1_53-20427.html
Wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Carbon

I was head over heels with my ipod touch when I first loaded up every CD I owned onto it. I looked over at my books of CDs and then back at my itouch in my hand and just stared at it in amazement.

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #36 of 63
Wow...I had to think about this. My first mp3 player was an iriver one...512mb of flash memory. Took 1 AA battery that lasted for like 40 hours or so....thing would go forever. I wore out the power button and eventually resorted to turning the thing on with a mini screwdriver. I did that until I upgraded to a Creative Zen Micro.

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #39 of 63
My first was a small player I found in NYC years ago. And it was filled with my favorite music - it was meant to be!!! But my first purchase was an Rio Carbon I believe.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #42 of 63
Ipod photo was my first mp3 ever (2005).

Upto then I was using a Sony MP3 Discman that supported CD & DVD-R which was only available in Japan at the time.

Boy, do I miss those days of putting files in folders, labeling & tagging them correctly and finally add/remove files based on amount of space left on the cd/dvd.

I had a NetMD but man,, the time it took to convert a file into atrac.

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #43 of 63
My first MP3 player was the iRiver IFP-590. I still have it though I've not used it for years now since buying and upgrading MP3 players though out the years. THe IFP-590 was a very good sounding player.

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #45 of 63

My first true dedicated portable mp3 player was the Diamond Rio 500 if remember correctly. AAA battery powered and a whooping 64MB of storage! I think i may have had the Diamond 300 at one point as well.

Brings me alot of good memories from that time, I miss those days. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back