what was the flavor of the month when you joined head-fi?
Jun 7, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #76 of 182
Meta 42 amp...it was all over the place.

Jun 7, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #77 of 182
I think Head-fi is now so big and there is so muc new headphone equipment, that the flavor-of-the-month phenomenon no longer exists. If something was the flavor of the month, you felt that you HAD to have the thing because it gave such great listening at the price point.

The only exception would be for really [size=xx-large]major[/size] releases like the Senn 650.

Jun 7, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #78 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
well, as far as i know you're the only very well-known person on head-fi to have tried them, and i think it'll take the validation of some of the more reputed posters here to make them more than a FOTM. but who knows, it certainly could happen.

BLN:

I could have guessed your reply from 1,000 yards away...

Anyway, there are other reviews of UE products on Head-Fi who are in better repute than myself.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #80 of 182
i wasn't criticizing you welly, i just don't know anyone else as widely known as you who's tried UE stuff, and that's an important criterion for a product if it's going to have staying power.

Jun 7, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #81 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
I don't think these will end up being just another flavor of the month. I think we are seeing a trend that can sustain itself provided more members "bite the bullet" and get their own UE earphones. No sir, I think that UE has enough going for it to become one of the top IEMs on the market and most frequently recommended earphones among audiophile headphone nuts for the foreseeable future.

Bite the bullet. It's tough to bite the $1000 bullet. I am okay with losing ~$80 when I want to sell my used equipment. But to lose all of $1000 on a pair of earphone? My pocket is not deept enough for me to bite that bullet.

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #82 of 182
Whatever happened to all those aftermarket cables for HD580/600/650?

Cardas, Clou red/blue/white, mobius, etc?

What happened to the people that paid big bucks for those cables?

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #83 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Bite the bullet. It's tough to bite the $1000 bullet. I am okay with losing ~$80 when I want to sell my used equipment. But to lose all of $1000 on a pair of earphone? My pocket is not deept enough for me to bite that bullet.

Ampgalore:

I don't think you'd necessarily be "losing $1000 on a pair of earphone;" if you get them, then you simply just keep them. The thing that is reasonable to understand is figuring out if the investment was worth it all and if you're happy with it. It's not easy to make that determination without diving in head first and I understand. Oh well...

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #85 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Welly, after your UE-10 purchase, are you planning on buying any other cans?

Ampgalore:

To be brutally honest and truthful with you, I am only focused on one MAJOR audio equipment purchase: ModWright LLC Mods for my Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi. I just don't think that I need another headphone or earphone. The UE-10 PRO satisfies me each time I listen to them. I don't have a headphone itch. I have a source improvement itch that has to be scratched hard.

Jun 9, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #87 of 182
I joined as the Eggo craze was dying and people were starting to talk more about what they didn't like about them. KSC-35 was still the king of the cheapo portable world, which I think it still is. I think CD3K vs. HD600 wars were just starting to appear then, too.

Flavor of the month right now seems to be the ATH A900, doesn't it? Seems like a lot of threads on that now...

Jun 9, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #88 of 182
Porta Pro 2's seemed to be headed towards FOM status for a bit, but the rage seems to have faded pretty quickly.

Canalphones in general seem to be the hot FOM now, but without one clear model in the lead.

Jun 9, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #89 of 182
Koss Ksc35 and a bit of Sony CD 3000
...and PPAs everywhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back