What Was the First Concert You Ever Saw?
Nov 21, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #46 of 92
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by john_jcb
My first live concert was a couple of days after Christmas in 1968. I was home for the holidays from my first yeaar in college and went to Seattle to see Led Zeppelin. I remember a friend got us tickets and we were in about the 5th row.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were they the opening act or the headliner?

My memory is not what it once was but if I recall Vanilla Fudge was the opening act.

Nov 22, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #47 of 92
Mine was seeing 2 local bands, Goud's Thumb and Rustic Overtones. It was a great show, even though there wasn't really any special lighting. Both bands have broken up though...heh.

Nov 22, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #48 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
Two of the first records my brothers owned, circa 1965. Played on an old Maganvox console. Tracking weight: about four grams!

That's not so bad for '65 and probably wouldn't accelerate wear that much. Most changers were at 6 - 8 gm then. In the 70s, a lot of people far more damage by tracking too LIGHTLY, at 1 - 1.5 grams with equipment that wasn't refined enough for that, and having the stylus bounce around in the groove.

[Can we crap the thread any more thoroughly?]

Nov 22, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #49 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie

[Can we crap the thread any more thoroughly?]

Yup, sorry.

Back to first concerts--I'm waiting to see if anyone's first concert was the Beatles. . . .

Nov 22, 2002 at 1:59 AM Post #50 of 92
I think it was in 1996 or 1997, Blur Concert in Singapore

Nov 22, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #51 of 92
When I was 14, I saw New Order in Jones Beach (Wantagh, NY). It was in the summer of 1989 and their support acts were The Sugarcubes and Public Image Limited. The crowd was so bored during the Sugarcubes' set so Bjork jumped off the stage and walked the aisles unsuccessfully trying to get everyone off their seats. John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten) wore this blinding neon orange (or was it green) suit and the New Order set kicked ass.

Nov 22, 2002 at 3:51 AM Post #52 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ

I'm waiting to see if anyone's first concert was the Beatles.

Not the first, but my sister did see them at Candlestick Park, which I believe was their final concert. If I recall, they stopped touring after that concert. I think she still has the program from it. Alas, I was too young to travel so far too see a "rock and roll" band.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 22, 2002 at 3:17 PM Post #53 of 92
Quote:

jmt-wasn`t shea stadium their last?

Shea Stadium: 15 Aug 1965
Candlestick Park: 29 Aug 1966

Nov 23, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #54 of 92
the 1st concert i saw was the jefferson starship at the wisconsin state fair in milwaukee[west allis to be exact]i walked out before it ended though due to the fact it was too loud

Nov 23, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #56 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
Yup, sorry.

Back to first concerts--I'm waiting to see if anyone's first concert was the Beatles. . . .

My wife's first concert was the 1964 Beatles show in Seattle, she was 15 at the time. I didnt meet her for a few years but that was a high point in her life concert wise.

Nov 24, 2002 at 10:29 AM Post #57 of 92
I believe it was Fred Penner at age 3 or 4. No idea where this guy is today, but he was a popular Canadian Folk performer specializing in childrens music back in the day.

Nov 26, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #59 of 92
I've kept quiet out of embarassment. But now that I read this thread, I realize there is nothing to be embarrased about. Plus, (most of) you head-fiers are so darned polite about things.

I didn't attend my first (popular music) concert until I was 19, *cue conan o'brian skit* in the year two-thousaaaand. That was Cibo Matto - and those two Japanese girls were amazing on stage! It was also a small venue, and the whole place was hopping. This first concert of mine is definitely in the top five of concerts that I have attended. Since my first exposure two/three years ago, I have been to quite a few more concerts. Here is my top five list, in order of preference:

1. Bjork - Live at the Civic Opera House in Chicago. Amazing.
2. Sigur Ros - They are as good in concert as they are on CD. Small, intimate venue.
3. Cibo Matto - Great energy and super fun. KAWAII!
4. Radiohead - More of a stadium concert, which I do not prefer, but they performed top-notch.
5. Bright Eyes - The concert that made me do a 180 on the album. Tons of people on stage with tons of instruments, and plenty of personality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back