What was the first album or CD you ever bought?
Mar 23, 2021 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

szore

Headphoneus Supremus
What was the first album or CD that you went out and bought for yourself, and how old were you?

For me it was Queen, News of the World, and Boston. I was 14, and it was 1980. I bought both records the same time...i was never the same!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 26
The first album I bought was Neil Young's 3 record retrospective Decade. This was back in 1980 when I was 13.
The first CD I bought, when CDs first became available, was Steely Dan's Aja. It's been my reference recording ever since.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 26
https://www.discogs.com/Trance-Allstars-Worldwide/release/31163

Bought the CD 2 in 1999 first as they were sold separately. Bought CD1 later.

Skipped school midway through the day with friends to hang at the local mall with a huge music store and individual CD listening stations in Calcutta and picked it up as it seemed interesting.

Been a Trance fan since that day,

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 26
The first LP I bought was, I think:

10CC The Original Soundtrack

I can't remember my age exactly but it would have been early teens. The LP was released in 1975 and it would have been not long after its release that I got it.

It is a good question and it has prompted me to track it down and listen to it on Tidal which I'm doing now. It is a lot of decades since I've listened to this album.

I remember when I got it the sleeve was beautifully printed with a texture. It was a lovely thing to buy and bring home.

Mar 28, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 26
The first LP I bought was, I think:

10CC The Original Soundtrack

I can't remember my age exactly but it would have been early teens. The LP was released in 1975 and it would have been not long after its release that I got it.

It is a good question and it has prompted me to track it down and listen to it on Tidal which I'm doing now. It is a lot of decades since I've listened to this album.

I remember when I got it the sleeve was beautifully printed with a texture. It was a lovely thing to buy and bring home.
Most albums were...especially Yes... An album was usually $5.99.

Mar 28, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 26
On cassette, age 11-ish

u9RXmsg.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 26
Most albums were...especially Yes... An album was usually $5.99.
That 10CC Original Soundtrack album had a gatefold sleeve with a drawing of a Steenbeck film editor taking up most of the space. The whole sleeve had a matt texture except for the film image in the Steenbeck which was gloss. The sleeve really was a beautiful piece of work. I think the album was released on Mercury which was a bit up-market and executed sleeve designs really well. I bought it in the UK but I can't remember the price.

I will add that one of the things I do today is video editing. Occasionally when I am working with the computer interface I think of that rather lovely drawing of the Steenbeck on that album.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #14 of 26
bump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back