what was that star under the moon last night?
May 20, 2007 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ilikemonkeys

500+ Head-Fier
it was really bright and right below the crescent moon. Looked really cool and i couldn't find anywhere online to tell me what it was.

I live in Central US.

May 20, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 25
That was a great conjunction last night, wasn't it. I wish I had had my camera, but I was too busy living it up on Elgin Street. Sens for the Cup!

May 20, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 25
yeah i saw that last night and i was wondering the same thing!

cool
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 25
Cool, I was wondering what that was. I assumed it had to be a planet.

May 21, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 25
Bah, I wish I knew about this beforehand. I've never in my life seen a planet in our Solar System while looking at the night sky
frown.gif

May 21, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's actually been there for more than a week where I am. Apparently Mars and Saturn are also close at the moment.

Either venus or saturn I think. You can see th erings around saturn if you have a telescope. There was an astronomy club in front of a tower records one time, and you could see Saturns rings. Mars of course is red-orange.

May 21, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #12 of 25
DAng-it...it's cloudy here. Last night it wasn't, and I missed it!

May 21, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #13 of 25
haha now i feel bad for trying to cut it out of my picture when i was attempting to photograph the moon! thanks for the info
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's actually been there for more than a week where I am. Apparently Mars and Saturn are also close at the moment.

It's been in the sky quite visibly for close to 2 months now, although it's moved a few arc seconds since then. If you want a neat experience took at it through binoculars to see its phases. But don't look at the sun with them.

May 21, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #15 of 25
It was Venus:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/myspace/nightsky/

Right now the moon is between Venus and Saturn. Tomorrow night the Moon will be much closer to Saturn, and in fact, here's what that page says about the Moon-Saturn conjunction this month:

Quote:

On the evening of the 22nd, Saturn will be covered by the Moon (an event known as an occultation). The timing depends on exactly where you are, but it will be around 8pm when Saturn disappears behind the unlit left side of the Moon. Unfortunately the Sun is still up for the start of this event, but the exit happens after sunset. The ringed world will eventually reappear from the bright right-side part over an hour later, at around 9.17pm.

Here's another link:
http://www.dustbunny.com/afk/skymaps/may22map.html

may22map.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back