What voltage should I use for input on CMoyBB 2.03 w/ AD825?
Jun 13, 2015 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Nazo

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm using a DC-DC converter to allow me to use a lithium-ion battery (specifically a Panasonic NCR18650, so in theory I can get at least a good 2600mAh or so out of it before the voltage drops below the usable range -- probably around 2800mAh really) with my CMoy. If it produces any noise I'm unable to hear it (I'm fairly certain it's outside of the range of the filtering that even a CMoy does really.) Anyway, this means I can tune the voltage to whatever I want within a range of about 0.5V-ish above input up to 35V. (It's basically this using a LM2577S which may or may not be a clone, I have no clue. I've had this one a while and I guess it came from eBay or something. It is officially rated for up to 35V output, but this picture is the closest to the one I have component-wise of those I could find in a search.) Now, if I understand it correctly, the virtual ground of the CMoy means the input voltage is divided in half, thus an input of 18V (what I started out with since I knew for a fact that the CMoyBB supports dual 9V) is really only 9V to the OPAMP. If I understand correctly, the AD825 is specced for its best performance at a 15V input? I noticed that the CMoyBB 2.03 states that it only supports up to 24V however. I don't know if this is because of one of the other components or if they simply mean one of the various OPAMPs they have shipped with can't handle higher than that (though ironically the JRC 4556AD mine came with appears to accept much higher if this is so. Still, I know they've shipped with different OPAMPs at various times so I'm just not clear if this is a least common denominator or not... For now I'm setting it to 20V which does indeed sound quite amazing, I'm just wondering if I shouldn't be setting something a little different since I have a setup that can basically do any reasonable voltage and a battery that can take a pretty good bit of punishment. (I don't even need a protection circuit. The Panasonic NCR18650 goes down to 2.5V before it must be stopped, but the DC-DC converter stops working right and I get noticeable noise around 3V, so I know when it's time to recharge. Someday I plan to stick a charger in there too.)

It has been a while since I really read up on things like amplifier design, so frankly I really am not sure here and I'm just a bit confused even though I probably shouldn't be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back