What vinyl album to buy for my first decent turntable setup?
Aug 3, 2015 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TRapz

500+ Head-Fier
Hi! Tomorrow I should be ordering my FiiO E11k for my AT-LP60 turntable. It's not a great setup, but it's decent, and I'd like to choose a vinyl album that sounds great in order to get the most out of my first listen.

My choices are:

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Radiohead - OK Computer

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

Chvrches - The Bones of What You Believe

These are a few of my favorite albums, all on 180g vinyl, and I love all of them the same. I can't choose, so I'll let Head-Fi choose! If you have a reason why, please comment; if you have any other albums by these artists or similar ones (my profile has a list of my favorite albums) that are good albums and sound good, go ahead and add them in as well. I'd prefer 180g vinyl if possible and under $30.

Thanks for your help!

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 6
  You have a $100 turntable system.  You are considering buying an LP that costs about 30% of your total system price.  Go to a good music store that sells quality second hand records.

I'd like one good quality album, one of my favorites, preferably under $20, to put through the system. All the rest of my vinyl is second-hand and was bought very cheaply. I won't be buying a whole collection of $20-$30 records anytime soon, especially with this system. I know its limitations, I'd just like to make one purchase where I'll be getting brand new, good-quality vinyl.

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 6
'Either-Or' by Elliott Smith is a nice album

'Random Access Memories' by Daft Punk is amazing even if it's not your preferred genre.
One of the best vinyls I've heard to date

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 6

You have a $100 turntable system.  You are considering buying an LP that costs about 30% of your total system price.  Go to a good music store that sells quality second hand records.

I'd like one good quality album, one of my favorites, preferably under $20, to put through the system. All the rest of my vinyl is second-hand and was bought very cheaply. I won't be buying a whole collection of $20-$30 records anytime soon, especially with this system. I know its limitations, I'd just like to make one purchase where I'll be getting brand new, good-quality vinyl.

Your present system is not capable of fully reproducing the source quality presented by "regular" albums that were bought from the racks of records stores decades ago.  What is the tracking weight of your your cartridge?   I wouldn't want to ruin the grooves of an audiophile quality album that will sound great on a future higher quality system.  Been there; done that--except it wasn't with a premium cost platter.  

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 6
Your present system is not capable of fully reproducing the source quality presented by "regular" albums that were bought from the racks of records stores decades ago.  What is the tracking weight of your your cartridge? I wouldn't want to ruin the grooves of an audiophile quality album that will sound great on a future higher quality system.  Been there; done that--except it wasn't with a premium cost platter.  

While I haven't measured myself, the tracking weight on the LP60 has been measured to be ~3g. This shouldn't ruin the records. 

No, it's not some high end turntable. It's not the perfect system, it's not going to sound perfect. However, a regular album, new, costs $15-$20 anyways. I don't mind spending a couple extra dollars, if I even have to, for 180g. In Rainbows is even cheaper in 180g, and OK Computer is the same price. I'm also not obsessed with getting 180g, I wouldn't mind a regular record, but I figured that, as it's usually similar or a bit higher (in some cases, lower) in price, I might as well get 180g. I'd like a new album because I enjoy being the first to open the album, and with these few that I've listed, most copies are new anyways. The used versions on Amazon for OK Computer are actually higher than the new versions. I'd like to get a new record, and I'm probably getting it in 180g because it's generally about the same price, and can even be cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back