What USB DAC for Grado RS-1 headphones? (up to ~$600?)
Dec 5, 2007 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dsmudger

Head-Fier
Been reading the various USB DAC threads here and can't seem to make head nor tail of it all
redface.gif

Currently driving my recently-acquired Grado RS-1s with a Headroom Total Bithead - nice and detailed, but I'm finding the noise floor appallingly bad (there's hiss even with the volume all the way down, with the Grados and even worse with Shure e5c or E500, feeling kind of ripped-off on that one TBH, even despite the otherwise nice sound
frown.gif
), the bass a bit light (although tight and detailed) and the near-top-end almost a bit harsh (the second-to-last slider in iTunes EQ... like it's up one notch too high - turning it down one kind of helps but seems to kill too much of the detail, so I leave the EQ off despite the slight harshness/don't know if that makes sense..
rolleyes.gif
).

So with that in mind can anyone recommend a USB DAC known to have a good headphone-out, or maybe a DAC/headphone amp combo under around $600? (ideally well-within, of course - that's more a would-stretch-to-if-it's-really-worth-it price
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I listen to a lot of electronica (Simian Mobile Disco, Booka Shade, Trentemoller, Vibrasphere, various electro/breakbeat/hard-house) so I guess that's why I'm looking for an amp that might offset the Grados' bass-lightness hopefully without sacrificing that amazing detail and pace-iness?

A friend who's into pro-audio is recommending any of the various M-Audio USB boxes, so I guess the Audiophile USB might be an obvious candidate? (or along similar lines the E MU 0404 going by these boards?); also been looking at things like the USB Monica at $145 or the KECES USB DAC (anyone listened to one of those yet/any independent reviews around?) but then there's the problem of somehow matching any given choice to any number of potential headphone amps
eek.gif
- no idea how to go about it/anyone have any advice?

Dec 5, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 5
looks good/thanks (great bang-for-buck ratio by the sounds of it, which is all I was after really regardless of actual price point/if that makes sense) - I've posted in the thread to see how it matches with the RS-1 seeing as one of the reviewers lists it in his sig
smily_headphones1.gif
Love the idea that I could mess with it in future via the socketed Burr-Brown.. (let's say in the unlikely(?) event I might not like it
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Meanwhile has anyone heard any of the others with Grados or otherwsie have any advice on on... well-designed-but-cheap+simple-far-eastern/
vs.low-end(mini/USB vserrsions of)-industry-standard-PRO-Audio-monitoring-gear/
vs.vintage-were-expensive-in-their-day-DACs/
vs.other-esoteric-eBay-efforts (non-oversampling, tube or otherwise)?

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 5
I just dig on me RS1's with HeadRoom's MicroAmp w/ 2006 Module and MicroDAC. no hiss at all in the noise floor in this rig.

it's no longer being made but HeadRoom has just released the Portable MicroAmp for $399 and you can have the internal DAC option added for $199.

next step up is the new 2007 MicroAmp and MicroDAC based on the Home Amp. they are selling for $399 each.

I dunno if you have ever talked with HeadRoom about the troubles with your Total BitHead but they have excellent customer support. HeadRoom will do you right!

Dec 9, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 5
I would take a hard look at the soon to be released Pico by Headamp. The dac section uses a supposedly first-rate chip and more than a few members have mentioned that it competes well with some of the bigger more expensive home setups.
There are some impressions in a couple meet threads that would be worth reading.
For a tiny single box solution that can be used at home and on the move, this looks very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back