What upgrade would give me the most improvement: headphones or DAC?
Mar 8, 2021 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

redi1972

New Head-Fier
Currently using Philips Fidelio X2 headphones paired to a Chord Mojo, connected to mobile phone using UAPP (so proper DAC usage) and lossless audio files.

I'm contemplating a possible big equipment step-up, assuming that it will give a significant sound improvement, but wondering what would make the biggest impact: upgrading the headphones to a pair of Hifiman Ananda (or maybe Audeze LCD-2 Classic), or upgrading the Mojo to an RME ADI-2 DAC, both of which are roughly in the same price range?
I've read that good headphones can make an average source sound good, but also that a good DAC/amp combo can make average headphones sound good. Given that neither of my current equipment are really average (I think :)), will one upgrade be better than the other?

Assuming, of course, that I like the sound signature of either upgrade. I like my current combo for, in my opinion, the nice clarity, transparency and musicality. I do like the relatively V-shaped sound of the X2s.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 43
I'd spend on headphones before a new DAC and amp. Also, remember the ADI-2 is a really nice DAC and somewhat unique with its onboard EQ, but the built in headphone amp is fairly weak. If you get it, plan on a separate amp or sticking to easy to drive headphones.

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 43
I'd spend on headphones before a new DAC and amp. Also, remember the ADI-2 is a really nice DAC and somewhat unique with its onboard EQ, but the built in headphone amp is fairly weak. If you get it, plan on a separate amp or sticking to easy to drive headphones.
Thanks for the response.
I guess the ADI-2 amp section isn't any weaker than the Mojo's? My current X2s are 30 Ohms and the Anandas are 25 Ohms, so I guess that that's OK :)

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 43
Yes, get the headphones upgrade first. But mindful of gear pairings and upgrade paths. If you don't want to also invest in a new amp or DAC, don't upgrade your headphones to one with radically different power requirements. Otherwise you might take steps back in some areas of quality.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 43
Thanks for the response.
I guess the ADI-2 amp section isn't any weaker than the Mojo's? My current X2s are 30 Ohms and the Anandas are 25 Ohms, so I guess that that's OK :)
True, though the Mojo is a portable / battery powered amp, and it's fairly strong for that... But the ADI-2 is a desktop amp. So fairly weak for that. All relative of course.

Ohm rating is also not the only determinant of how difficult to drive a headphone is; also look at the sensitivity rating.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 43
I'm contemplating a possible big equipment step-up, assuming that it will give a significant sound improvement
First of all: what are you missing? There are many potential paths to walk but you have to consider which direction you want to take.

The Mojo is a great dac/amp. The Fidelio is a great headphone. What’s wrong?

Keep the Mojo and consider which tuning you’re aiming for. If neutral go for Hifiman Sundara and be done with it. While haven’t had the pleasure of listening to Ananda myself I know many a coconut afficionado that actually do prefer the Sundara over the Ananda by quite a margin.

More expensive is by no means always better.

Relax and enjoy the music!

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 43
First of all: what are you missing? There are many potential paths to walk but you have to consider which direction you want to take.

The Mojo is a great dac/amp. The Fidelio is a great headphone. What’s wrong?

Keep the Mojo and consider which tuning you’re aiming for. If neutral go for Hifiman Sundara and be done with it. While haven’t had the pleasure of listening to Ananda myself I know many a coconut afficionado that actually do prefer the Sundara over the Ananda by quite a margin.

More expensive is by no means always better.

Relax and enjoy the music!
Thanks for the excellent questions!

I love my X2s for their laid-back yet detailed and open sound. Good low-frequency punch and subtle but clear highs. It's just that I'm always wondering if I get could more of that clarity and transparency, that's basically my Holy Grail :)

So I thought that going the planar magnetic way could give me that, or a DAC that even better gives me the details and dynamics. I considered the Sundaya, but was thrown off a bit by reports of reliability. So I thought that more expensive would be better, not only in sound but also built quality :)

Mar 8, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #8 of 43
I considered the Sundaya, but was thrown off a bit by reports of reliability.
Go for the Sundara. Most people have no problems. The QC problems frequency is often exaggerated. The Internet is an echo chamber of negativity sometimes. Buy from new and get the warranty and the new pads. It’s a no brainer. Amazing quality.

Mar 8, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #9 of 43
Go for the Sundara. Most people have no problems. The QC problems frequency is often exaggerated. The Internet is an echo chamber of negativity sometimes. Buy from new and get the warranty and the new pads. It’s a no brainer. Amazing quality.
Okay, well at least I can try and return within 30 days without cost :)

What do you mean with "get the new pads"?

Mar 8, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 43
Thanks for the excellent questions!

I love my X2s for their laid-back yet detailed and open sound. Good low-frequency punch and subtle but clear highs. It's just that I'm always wondering if I get could more of that clarity and transparency, that's basically my Holy Grail :)

So I thought that going the planar magnetic way could give me that, or a DAC that even better gives me the details and dynamics. I considered the Sundaya, but was thrown off a bit by reports of reliability. So I thought that more expensive would be better, not only in sound but also built quality :)

I am not familiar with the Fidelio X2 but know the Mojo very well, as well as the bigger brother, the Hugo 2.
Mojo has very good transparency and layering for its class, so you are well equipped for the next step up with your headphones.

I was looking for a headphone that could match or beat my Sony IER-M9 IEMs in these aspects as well as it's imaging capabilities and detail.
Below €500 the Sundara was the best I heard, and since it's a little hot in treble the Mojo with its sweet highs should be a really good match.

When you are moving up to something like the Arya or Sennheiser HD-800S I think the Mojo would be holding them back, but that's a big step up in total system cost if you take a €1600 headphone and €2200 DAC/Amp like the Hugo 2. Clarity and transparency, note definition, soundstage depth and layering and extension on both ends of the spectrum really get quite a bit better, but the headphones have to be up to it. Mojo is still a great DAC/Amp and I keep using and enjoying it.

One additional thought - if clarity and transparency are so important to you, I find IEMs offering very good value for these two aspects. The small drivers with their tiny mass simply seem to be very resolving. Maybe look at the used market for a good deal on a Sony IER-M7 (~€300), Campfire Andromeda (~5-600), Beyerdynamic Xelento or A&K T8iE MKII (around €350). Especially the first 2 could be keepers, and all of these are comfortable.

Good luck with your choice!

Mar 8, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 43
Adding to the above, The Custom Art FIBAE 4. New around $800. Used $4-600, though they're a fairly small operation, so not a lot come up. Bought mine blind and very happy I did. They do everything the X2 does, better.

Mar 9, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #12 of 43
Thanks for the suggestions. Not a real fan of IEM mainly because of the comfort/fitting/sealing issues I've always encountered with them. I'll keep it in mind, though, in case the planar route disappoints.

Mar 9, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #13 of 43
What do you mean with "get the new pads"?
I actually re-ordered the Sundara myself today. Had it and then sold it a while ago. All this talk about it made me push the button.

What I meant was: Hifiman recently upgraded the pads so make sure you buy from a respected vendor to get the revised pads as they make an already excellent can even more fabulous.

Enjoy!

Mar 9, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 43
I actually re-ordered the Sundara myself today. Had it and then sold it a while ago. All this talk about it made me push the button.
Sorry about that. Hope your wallet doesn't hate me now :ksc75smile:

What I meant was: Hifiman recently upgraded the pads so make sure you buy from a respected vendor to get the revised pads as they make an already excellent can even more fabulous.

Enjoy!
Ah I see. Well the site where I ordered explicitly mentioned that it was the 2020 version of the cans, so I guess that should be OK then :)

Mar 9, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #15 of 43
Sorry about that. Hope your wallet doesn't hate me now :ksc75smile:
Hehe. No worries. It’s been on my radar ever since I sold it to get the Focal Clear which is nowhere near as pleasurable a listen as the Sundara - to my ears. The Clear is sold again and so the coast is clear to re-purchase the Sundara :)
Ah I see. Well the site where I ordered explicitly mentioned that it was the 2020 version of the cans, so I guess that should be OK then :)
Great. You’re good to go then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back