What type of speakers are best for 2.1 with new soundcard?
Jun 8, 2010 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

medex

New Head-Fier
I was looking at the Xonar STX/ST to power my A700 headphones, but realized I likely don't need the amp.  So with the money I think id like to get a cheaper but still good sound source like the Xonar DX and a nice set of desktop speakers.  I have never really used speakers, so I really haven't a clue of what to look for.    I know id like them to sit on my desk, and not be overly big, but a bookshelf size should be a fine size.  I mainly watch movies,tv shows and listen to metal, metalcore and alternative rock music.  The max I can spend is around $250 including shipping.  The Xonar DX is now about $78 with rebate, so I have about $172 to spend on speakers.  Though if there is a better soundcard and cheaper speakers, that is fine as well. I mainly chose the Xonar because I use Linux as my main os, and it seems to be one of the few card lines that works well.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm going to be unpredictable and say try to find a good used set of Behringer B-2031A active monitors. They are about 4 x the size of the Audio Engines. Seen them as low as $99 a pair used. If you could find a pair of the newer 3031A's in your price range I'd grab them. Only issue is that these are bigger...much bigger...than the AudioEngine. However, they do have actual dynamics and bass response to them (difference between an 8" woofer and a 2.75" woofer is...um...noticeable) Assuming you can fit them, they'll do the trick. Also, they are pro monitors so you'll need to use 1/4" or XLR inputs...which is no big deal. If you can find a set of the B-3031A's in your price range, grab them...if they don't fit, PM me and I'll buy em off you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back