What type of speaker cable would I need?
Aug 26, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 12
How long is the run?

See ya
Steve

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ath1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say that I need each to be 10-15'

With that short a run, it really doesn't matter. Lamp cord would sound the same as the fanciest speaker wire. You only need to worry about the kind of wire you use if you are wiring across the house. Just find some nice inexpensive speaker wire.

See ya
Steve

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 12
Yes, don't get caught up in the "really expensive is vastly superior" myth. Try to keep your runs as short as possible, and make sure the cables are the same length, and you'll be fine with anything Monster and above. I wouldn't necessarily go with lamp cord, lol...you could, but...where's the bragging rights in that? (I love the way my braided Kimber 8TC looks, and people always go "ooh" when they see it, lol).

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ath1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can I just use bare speaker wire to connect the two? Or do they need some kind of special termination?

I prefer bare wire connections, less connections the better in my view. One note, make sure of the size your speakers and amp can accommodate for awg of wire.

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 12
Actually, I would recommend regular old Radio Shack speaker wire over Monster. I've found that Monster cables are overbuilt. A big thick speaker wire is a pain in the patoot to run under a rug. They all sound the same at that length, so pick one that is well made and has a low profile.

See ya
Steve

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 12
Yeah, moster does use pretty thick housing...I think they do it just to give the impression of larger AWG conductors - it also looks bigger until you strip it, and see the tiny wire inside. Monster XP especially, but the gauge is pretty decent anyway in the XP.

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #12 of 12
Go to Home Depot and get the common extension cord. That's right, the orange and black cord you see running across the driveway or snaking through the grass as you or your neighbor cut trees or whatever home crap job you need power for. Get the medium sized cord (don't remember exact gauge #) and cut the ends. Inside you'll see 3 different colored wires. Obviously you just need 2 of them. I use the white for positive and the black for negative. There's a green wire left that I just don't use. Great sound at a reasonable price. Something like this. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...+90401#reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Back