What type of music players do the smartphones use?Are they sound chips any good?
Nov 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mitadoc

New Head-Fier
I was browsing GSMarena today and I spotted that most of teh Android phones have a WAV/FLAC player which is basically good.But is the outgoing sound good?What are the chips inside the smartphones?Do the deliver satisfactory sound?Do you have any observations?

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 7
I would guess my $40 Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip can give smart phones some decent competition, for music audio quality.

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 7
  I was browsing GSMarena today and I spotted that most of teh Android phones have a WAV/FLAC player which is basically good.But is the outgoing sound good?What are the chips inside the smartphones?Do the deliver satisfactory sound?Do you have any observations?

Heya,

Lots of electronics use the same "chip" as the higher end audio-specific stuff. The "chipset" really doesn't matter all that much. It's what happens after that chipset that really makes a difference. And phones are not built with the handling and distribution of said signal in mind at a level of quality that would at all be registered on an audio enthusiast chart.

The key here, is if it sounds good to you, then don't worry about it. Listen on.

If it doesn't, then stop using the smartphone, move on to a dedicated digital audio player (DAP) that is made from the ground up to handle and deliver audio.

It's possible to get very good output from a smartphone, mind you, especially if it's an android that can use a USB dac to bypass the smartphone's internal audio components. However, in doing so, you're not really doing thing special that a dedicated audio playback device already frankly does. It's more of an effort in combining technologies and using an app that someone loves as the GUI.

Very best,

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 7
My GS3 doesn't sound very nice. My cheap laptop has better audio. I tried pairing it with E17 but I didn't try USB OTG. I don't see much point because only one app can play it (recorder pro or something). I hear the E18 lets you use any app you want connecting through USB OTG. Connecting the GS3 to E17 through audio out just increases the volume and not much difference in SQ. I probably should get a sandisk or Fiio X3.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 7
I was thinking of getting Samsung Galaxy Trend 7560 and the first think  I saw was that it has a FLAC player.It sounded good.But what if the chips are not good?I won`t enjoy even FLACs.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 7
I believe you can install FLAC player (eg:- PowerAmp, Neutron etc) to any android phone and like MalVeauX states, it is how the chip is implemented that makes the difference.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 7
  I believe you can install FLAC player (eg:- PowerAmp, Neutron etc) to any android phone and like MalVeauX states, it is how the chip is implemented that makes the difference.

That`s why  I mentioned that I am curious how this player sounds.i have to check in some AD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back