What type of Fiio device and Asus sound card should I get with my Sennheisers hd598?
Feb 22, 2013 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rocha026

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a refurbished pair of sennheisers hd598s (rated 50ohm) from Amazon for $170. I was originally thinking about getting a fiio e17 over the asus stx, main reason being is that I didn't want to have to turn on my computer and keep it running every time I want to listen to music from my headphones. I thought I could plug the fiio e17 to my Iphone or playstation 3 and the e17 DAC would be able to work. After reading some past posts, I found out that a DAC would not have an affect on either devices, the amp however would. So I just wanted to see if anyone can confirm this for me? Also if anyone can recommend a fiio amp for me or have any other suggestions for an amp I could use with my ps3 and iphone? (budget is now <$200, preferably on the low end). I was thinking about getting an Asus STX, but since I'm getting a fiio amp anyways, will I be alright just getting an asus ds or dx, or can I save even more money and be fine with the asus dg? I am willing to spend the money if I will notice a significant difference between these sound cards, that would be worth the price difference?
Things to keep in mind: 1. I will be buying a portable amp to go with the sound card unless I get the Asus STX. 2. I would like to hear more bass from my hd598. 3. Most of my music is AAC 320kbps, but I have recently been updating my music library with lossless files. Any advice is welcomed and appreciated, thank you       

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 4
I'm not sure about any of the sound cards because I don't know anything about those lol but I can recommend the E17. Actually, you can use the DAC feature through the optical in/out with your PS3 I believe. However, only the Amp feature with an iPhone or iPod. At the same time, it's a great device to be connected to your PC as well if you were to choose to use it!

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for both of your suggestions. I really want to get fiio e17, but since it can't decode Dolby Digital and since it's dac wont help out my iphone I'm not willing to spend the $130 price tag. So I think I'm going with a fiio e11 $60 for now and wait till the asus st or stx goes on sale again or until I find a legit refurbished one for a good price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back