What Turntable Setup Tools?
Jan 7, 2005 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kentamcolin

1000+ Head-Fier
I want to properly setup my own turntables from now on. I've got my Thorens sounding great but would like to be able to really fine tune a table, both the Thorens and the incoming Scout, plus any others. What tools would be necessary at hopefully a reasonable cost to do this?

Jan 8, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 12
I am still waiting to buy my first turntable in about 20+ years so I don't have any experience with this - back when I listened to vinyl, we plugged in the power cord of the "record player/phonograph;" cued up the record, and just started playing! Here's a link with some good information, though:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...d&keyw&zztools

Hope that helps.

Holly

Jan 8, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 12
Basic tools include

Spirit Bubble level, to make sure that turntable is straight and level- $2 at the hardware store

Cartridge Alignment protractor - to properly align your cartridge -free to $200

Stylus Force gauge - like the Shure to insure proper VTF Vertical Tracking Force is set. $25

Test record. HI FI NEWS HFN-002 TEST RECORD. full of test tracks to properly adjust tracking, anti-skate (bias). Even comes with a universal alignment protractor and instructions. $39.99

More advance tools would be a strobe disc and light like the KAB SpeedStrobe to measure your platter speed. $99 - $160

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWN
Test record. HI FI NEWS HFN-002 TEST RECORD. full of test tracks to properly adjust tracking, anti-skate (bias). Even comes with a universal alignment protractor and instructions. $39.99

Or almost freely available old 12" laserdisc, to set anti skating. Make sure your hands are fast enough to catch the swinging arm, as LD surface is very slippery. Start anti skate with specified tracking force and finetune using LD.

Jan 8, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 12
Isn't it best to fine tune anti-skate by ear with headphones, as a blank record does not simulate the conditions during actual playback with the added friction of the goove? You can get in the ballpark with the test record. This is how Thorens suggests doing it.

Jan 8, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentamcolin
Isn't it best to fine tune anti-skate by ear with headphones, as a blank record does not simulate the conditions during actual playback with the added friction of the goove? You can get in the ballpark with the test record. This is how Thorens suggests doing it.

The test record actually has an audio track that makes it very easy to set anti-skate. The link provided by JMT is a very well written article on set-up.

Jan 8, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentamcolin
Isn't it best to fine tune anti-skate by ear with headphones, as a blank record does not simulate the conditions during actual playback with the added friction of the goove? You can get in the ballpark with the test record.

Can you explain a bit how you can fine tune anti skate further without test record ? I wish I have that HFN test record with audio track to test audible skating effect, mine is an old decca one which only have blank area on a single track.

If we take cancelling inner pull to center / spindle as a goal, imo the presence of a groove may not be beneficial as it will bear some of the skating force. Well to a certain extent the outer wall will push the stylus further inside, but that's getting into very-fine-tune area. =)

Anyway, that LD method will be good if you can't get test record or blank LP. Its advantage (at least over my test LP) is that you can check the skating on innermost area and outer area, as the required amount of force are different.

Jan 8, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 12
First of all, thanks for all the VERY useful posts. I knew I could count on you guys
biggrin.gif
For the anti-skate question, I used a test record to set the arm so it didn't move right or left, but still had some slight distortion in the right channel on very loud passages (hard strikes of a high note on a piano in this case). I tweaked the anti-skate adjustment just until it moved to the left channel and then turned back half way. The arm will move now on a test record, but there is no distortion at all and it sounds perfect. That to me is a proper anti-skate setup.

Jan 8, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 12
Thank you for sharing your method, sorry can't give more useful tuning ideas and seems like you have your table very well tuned. I have various other problems (mostly relate to lack of record cleaning machine =) to be able to do such fine tune by ear. Enjoy your new Scout !

Jan 8, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 12
There are products available like the "Label Saver" which allow you to wet clean records as well really as a machine. Granted it's not as convenient, but still does a good job at a fraction of the cost. I started this way and it's not a bad way to go if you just take some time and do a bunch of records at a time.

Jan 8, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 12
Biggest problem actually came from the very hot and humid environment in this part of globe ... after some thorough kitchen sink method they still get dirty / 'fungused' again in no time.
mad.gif

Btw do you know if there's a good solution (preferably natural like vinegar ?) that's in someway prevent fungus from developing on surface ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back