1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

What Tube Preamplifier can you guys recommend?

Tags:
  1. RogueWolfe
    I hope this isn't too off topic but I was wondering if some of you would have a recommendation for me on a Tube Pre-Amp. I am looking at a 1.000 $ Investment max, though I wouldn't mind if it were less than that. :)

My current preamp is a FUNK Lap-1, it's very very neutral and has astonishing detail. I pair them with 2 DIY Trans Monoblocks (not made by me, I am an absolute amateur when it comes to soldering). I was happy with this until I entered the world of headphones and bought a Shiit Vali 2. After some tube rolling I was very happy with the results with a vintage Sennheiser HD 540. Then I tried the Vali 2 as a Preamp in my system, just for fun. Amazing. Holographic, 3D, nice timbre. Unfortunately with a great loss of detail, especially up top. But it made me wonder. What would it sound like with a proper Tube Preamp. I ordered a Saga, and tbh it was a disappointment. Resolution and Detail is much better with my little Funk Preamp. And while I do hear a difference when I add the tube to the mix in the Saga - it's far from the "tube" sound the vali 2 brought to my system.

I heard great things about the elekit 8500, and there are a couple of vendors here in Europe who sell them assembled. Reussenzehn makes PreAmps in my price range- never heard them though.

So... Any of you run Tube PreAmps? I wouldn't mind buying used either...

Thanks! :)