What tube amp?
Jun 3, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #16 of 31
With the Lunch Box didn't you have to trim the C7 female connector on the cord to fit the amp?

Jun 3, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #17 of 31
I wish I could afford a singlepower amp, but i haven't seen one below $500 or so for a long time. Which, considering the build quality, is no surprise, they're built like tanks.

I like the lunchbox, I'm going to send them an e-mail, see if they think it's ok with headphones from 32 - 600 ohms. Curse my odd collection of phones
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #19 of 31
Hey, I have an AKG 240M.

I'm glad to find someone still using them.
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

About your question, since I also have the DV332, I can tell you that, IMO, this pair is really a good combination.

But frankly, I don't think you really have to get DV332 to make your 240 sound good since mine sounds reasonably good from my CDP phone-out and my NAD C372 integrated amp (which drives my HD650 horribly). I think Figaro or other lower model should be sufficient. However, if you decide to get 332, I can assure you that your cans won't sound bad with this particular amp.
wink.gif

------------------------
EDIT:
------------------------
I've just plugged my cans in to listen carefully again to tell you what they actually sound.

Well, Vocal is warm, sweet and lively, making it very enjoyable experience listening to Audiophile-vocal albums.

In addition to a good vocal, pairing with DV332 could also bring out more of those "sparkling" treble and deep bass. Of course, bass is not as deep as those produced by my HD650, but I can say it's very satisfactory bass.

One last thing, it seems DV332 makes this cans sound "faster" and smoother. Another benefit is that I have to crank the volume up to 11-12 region to get a decent volume (for me, which is a bit loud). By turning it farther, I get more defined control.

I also compared my DV332 with my CDP phone-out and NAD C372, and I have to take back my words, as both of them are significantly inferior to DV332 when driving K240.

FYI, I'm using Svetlana 6S19P-V as power tubes and LM Ericsson 403B as preamp tubes, but I think you sould get the same result using other good tubes like Ulyanovsk 6S19P and WE 403A/B.

Some picture
smily_headphones1.gif

dsc00349ry5.jpg

Hope this helps you decide.

Jun 3, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #20 of 31
Yes Big Poppa, the C-7 Power Punch Power Cord by PS Audio has a keyed type female socket. This is to prevent someone using a polarized electronic piece of equipment from pushing the PC on incorrectly. The Lunchbox II is not polarized so does not have a keyed receptacle. You need to take a pocket knife or a file and round the corners on the square part of the key on the PC. It takes about 15 seconds.

I should add here that the addition of an up-graded PC to the LB II takes the amp to another level of performance. Highly recommended.

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #21 of 31
Actually the hardest cans I have to drive are easily the K340, the K240M is much easier to drive.

I'm led to believe the voltage swing is the important thing for the K340, I'm wondering which of the amps has the highest...

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #22 of 31
Since I don't have K340, I can't help you about that.

But since 332 can drive K701 and HD650 easily, I don't think it will even sweat driving K340.

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #24 of 31
You guys are talking about an entry level headphone amp . If this was a more expensive amp... Higher expectations. A little nit picking IMO.

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K340 is the hardest to drive of those three, isn't it?

In such case, sorry for my ignorance, and please disregard my post.

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #26 of 31
oh, well I'm just trying to get an idea of what might be the best amp from a lilited range to use with my phones. With a range of impedences from 32 - 600 it's going to put a lot of strain on the amp if I get the wrong one. I'd rather try and get it right first time
smily_headphones1.gif
Funds are limited, alas.
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 31
hold on... did I just say get it right first time.?

oh.. what was I thinking? :/

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #28 of 31
ok So i just "won" a Little dot II+ from ebay, a reasonable price.
Now i know this one is a bit different, in that it has directly heated tubes, but form what i can see, as long as it doesn't electrocute you, it sounds better than the II++.. we'll see. I think i'll lpug in some cheapo phones in for startup to be sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #29 of 31
Good news, no mystery sparks, pops or crackles on powering it up. Yay

and.. ooh, what a difference from the lil solid state amp I was using.. where did all this soundstage come from?

Edit : 4 posts in a row, I'm talking to myself again aren't I?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back