What to use to remove glue
Jul 24, 2003 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
I decided to tape up all my windows one day because I got annoyed by all the flies getting into the house. Now I've found out where they are coming in from so I went ahead and removed all the tape but it had left all the sticky adhesive behind. What can i use to remove it???

Jul 24, 2003 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 17
There's a couple "goo removers" that I've tried that work really well.

One's called Goo Gone, the other is called Goof Off.

Make sure you dont' get any of that stuff on your furniture 'cause I'm pretty positive it'll eat up the finish fast. Oh, and the stuff really stinks, too.
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 17
Another thing you might try is a sponge loaded with HOT water. The hot water helps melt the glue residue. Just make sure there's no audio or other electronic gadgets underneath.

Jul 24, 2003 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 17
If the area is not vary large, you can also use nail polish remover (acetone). You are just basically taking advantage of the solvent part of the product. BUT, do not allow these close to furniture or paint. THis is an organic solvent, so fumes are not too good for you as well. If it is a rather large area, you are probably better off with the other specialyzed goo remover products.....

SO , the punch line here with respect to your health, a well ventilated space is a must if you are going to use substantial ammounts. This goes for the commercially available "goo removers" as well.

good luck
Cd44hi

Jul 24, 2003 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
There's a couple "goo removers" that I've tried that work really well.

One's called Goo Gone, the other is called Goof Off.

Make sure you dont' get any of that stuff on your furniture 'cause I'm pretty positive it'll eat up the finish fast. Oh, and the stuff really stinks, too.
tongue.gif

Goo Gone is some citric oil based stuff that's generally pretty safe, that should be perfect for this. I use it to help get price stickers off CDs and even LPs with no complications. Goof Off is pretty caustic stuff, that can remove paint and will generally destroy things (but is very effective for the right application).

Jul 24, 2003 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 17
i've used Formula 409 and a green scrub pad to remove masking tape sticky residue from windows which worked OK and is pretty safe...if the residue is very dry then a single edge razor blade works well...

Jul 24, 2003 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 17
Just make sure you don't get any of that stuff on your skin. When that happened to me, I literally had to rip the hair off my arm. There was no other way to get it off.

Jul 24, 2003 at 11:11 PM Post #11 of 17
Try Chapstick/Blistex or Vaseline or another petroleum-based cream. It will be a solvent for the adhesive.

Might not work with super-powerful adhesives, but probably would with normal tapes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back