What to use to fasten iPod Nano to amp - velcro, rubber bands, something better?
Jan 24, 2007 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

OakIris

1000+ Head-Fier
Wondering what people use to "stack" their iPods with their headphone amps. A lot of people seem to use Velcro or thick rubberbands, both of which probably work very well. In "Pictures of your portable rig," Iceroid showed some really cool plastic? rubber? arms to hold the two components together, and he even linked where he got them, but I was unable to locate them on the page he linked. Here is a link to the picture of his set up showing the "arms:" http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/125...rtarig1xh5.jpg

So what do you use??

Holly

Jan 24, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 25
Rubber band? Velcro would also work if you don't care about cosmetics.

Jan 24, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 25
I use velcro and a clear Agent 18 case, and i think it looks far cleaner and more attractive than rubber bands and other types of ties. The amp has a flat panel of velcro "hook" material, while the agent 18 case has three strips of velcro "loop" material on the back. When its put together, the velcro literally disappears. How much cleaner can it get? I used the "loop" (non-sticky end of the velcro on the iPod protective case intentionally because when I travel unamped, I didn't want to be grabbing on the fabric on my briefcase, or on my clothes.

351087355_b9ff4a4dc8.jpg

Jan 24, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rubber band? Velcro would also work if you don't care about cosmetics.

Well, I included "rubber band" because from pictures that is what some people seem to use, including the thick rubber bands that are used to fasten bunches of vegetables, such as brocolli or asparagus, together in grocery stores! I really want something a bit more pleasing to the eye, which is why I started this thread. And though velcro will do... so what do you use, shalldampfer?

Holly

Jan 25, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 25
I've actually got a pretty ingenious system setup for my future Tomahawk, which doesn't require the marring of either the amp, the case, or the MP3 player. :p

I'll post it when I get home; I made a mock-up using a similarly sized substitute for the Toma.

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #10 of 25
I put the bubble feet that came with my Tomahawk on top of my Tomahawk, and then I placed my iPod nano on top of those, and then I strapped them together with a Velcro strap. Though a Velcro strap isn't particularly stylish, the one I've got is emblazoned with a big ol' Sennheiser logo, which, 'round these headphone-geeky parts, might be considered headphone-geeky stylish.

[align=center]

IMG_3794.JPG

IMG_3784.JPG

[/align]

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put the bubble feet that came with my Tomahawk on top of my Tomahawk, and then I placed my iPod nano on top of those, and then I strapped them together with a Velcro strap. Though a Velcro strap isn't particularly stylish, the one I've got is emblazoned with a big ol' Sennheiser logo, which, 'round these headphone-geeky parts, might be considered headphone-geeky stylish.

That's a sweet setup jude, does the T-Hawk get hot at all? That's looks like a good way to increase airflow around it.

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmarotta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....does the T-Hawk get hot at all?...

No, the Tomahawk runs cool. I put the feet there just to keep the nano and Tomahawk from rubbing against each other. Should I decide to change this configuration, the feet (and any adhesive they might leave behind) are very easy to remove.

Jan 25, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #13 of 25
Hi Jude - that does indeed change the way I look at Velcro.
smily_headphones1.gif
Where do you get those Senn velcro straps?? Or other audio logo straps? They would certainly fit the bill.... The addition of adding the bubble feet to help with ventilation is a great idea, too.

I have also thought about looking for some of those silicone wristbands that support different causes. Anyone use something like that?

Holly

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #14 of 25
Well, I... actually use neither. Usually my iPod and my ER-4P go on a stroll together and without any other companions. When I do lug around my BitHead, though, it's usually with my HD650 also, and at that point convenience really isn't the first thing on my mind.

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by OakIris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Jude - that does indeed change the way I look at Velcro.
smily_headphones1.gif
Where do you get those Senn velcro straps??..

At the end of the last National Meet, while the Sennheiser staff was breaking down their exhibit, they gave some of these away, and I just happened to be there at that time and grabbed two of them (the other one is keeping about six feet of my HD650's cable looped up, as I sit very close to my rigs).

Moral of the story? Make sure to attend the 2007 International Head-Fi Meet in San Jose, on April 21st and 22nd, 2007.
wink.gif
I'll see you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back