What to use for wire in amp?
Apr 29, 2005 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

deadlierchair

100+ Head-Fier
I'm about to order parts for a PIMETA but I would like to make sure I'm doing this right.

For my CMOY's internal wiring (from board to switches etc.) I just salvaged old computer wire like they use for LEDs on front panels and it worked out okay. However, I don't have much left and if it's available I want something better.

What do all of you use? I just really want thin, single line, insulated wire, maybe in black and red or something. I'm going to order from DigiKey and I looked for wire but was really overwhelmed, could someone maybe help?

Apr 29, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 10
The wire used for panel components that are not in the signal path are not important. What is important is the wire you use for the input jacks, headphone jack, and potentiometer. I personally like to use silver coated copper stranded wire from Belden, 22awg covered with teflon. I buy it by the roll so if you would like a few feet of each color (black, red, green) let me know, I would be happy to send you some. Send me a PM with your information if you would like.

Apr 29, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
The wire used for panel components that are not in the signal path are not important. What is important is the wire you use for the input jacks, headphone jack, and potentiometer. I personally like to use silver coated copper stranded wire from Belden, 22awg covered with teflon. I buy it by the roll so if you would like a few feet of each color (black, red, green) let me know, I would be happy to send you some.

Thanks both of you, it definitely cleared up the questions I had about the topic.

JMT: If you would be willing to spare a few feet of each color I'd really love it! Do you want me to PM you with details or something?

Apr 29, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadlierchair
JMT: If you would be willing to spare a few feet of each color I'd really love it! Do you want me to PM you with details or something?

I edited my post above.

Apr 29, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Yeah, I know I know
frown.gif

I had no idea that the wire used was called 'hook up' wire and searches for 'wire' and some other stuff I could think of wasn't helping at all. Believe me, if I had found something I wouldn't be wasting space with a post
cool.gif

Apr 29, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 10
Myself I like high quality solid copper wire... Nothing too fancy but it works for me.

Also, I generally braid (or just twist) any wires together that are running from a single jack... I don't know if it actually improves anything but it cleans up my internal layout. If you want to get really fancy you can heatshrink the twisted wires for a very clean look.

Apr 29, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadlierchair
Yeah, I know I know
frown.gif

I had no idea that the wire used was called 'hook up' wire and searches for 'wire' and some other stuff I could think of wasn't helping at all. Believe me, if I had found something I wouldn't be wasting space with a post
cool.gif

I don't care about wasting space.
smily_headphones1.gif
II figured that since there have been so many discussions of wire that you were more likely to get a better answer by searching. Not knowing the term, however, would put a crimp in that plan. Sorry of it came off as policing. It wasn't meant to be.

-d

Apr 29, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
Also, I generally braid (or just twist) any wires together that are running from a single jack... I don't know if it actually improves anything but it cleans up my internal layout.

Twisting complementary pairs of wires together (i.e., the left input and the left ground is one pair, the right input and the right ground is another; the V+ and V- power supply lines is another pair, etc.) is a good idea. It provides improved common-mode noise immunity. The same idea is used, for example, in telephone and ethernet twisted-pair wiring. However, due to the jacket stiffness of teflon/silver wires, they are not very conducive to such twisting. I personally don't believe much in using fancy wires inside the case anyway. The lengths are typically too short to really make any difference. 24-gauge tinned stranded copper hookup wire in various colors is what I use most for signal and low power stuff, and thicker gauge for higher current wiring in speaker power amps, etc. If low level signal lines run more than a few inches then I would consider using shielded cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back