What to use for burning my Grados?
Dec 29, 2005 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rads

New Head-Fier
In desire of some high quality headphones that will last, I picked up some Grado SR325s. Now, from what I have read, the sound will improve if I burn in these headphones. Being the headphone newbie that I am, I'm not sure what kind of music or noise I should use to burn them in. I read the FAQ, but where would I get files for playing the kinds of noise listed?

EDIT: I'd also like to ask if it would be a bad idea to use my iPod to burn them in by plugging it into the wall and letting it run? I'm not sure if that has any negative effects on the iPod or not.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 29, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #2 of 16
your ipod is fine, just play the tunes you listen to, just a BIT louder than your normal levels, and play that sucker for 2 days straight!

Dec 29, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rads
In desire of some high quality headphones that will last, I picked up some Grado SR325s. Now, from what I have read, the sound will improve if I burn in these headphones. Being the headphone newbie that I am, I'm not sure what kind of music or noise I should use to burn them in. I read the FAQ, but where would I get files for playing the kinds of noise listed?

EDIT: I'd also like to ask if it would be a bad idea to use my iPod to burn them in by plugging it into the wall and letting it run? I'm not sure if that has any negative effects on the iPod or not.

Thanks in advance.

For burn in purposes (speakers and headphones), I usually go with faster paced music that has some pretty good bass punch too it as well. If you want to run some pink noise through them as well (can't hurt) just tune your FM stereo to a station that's all static and there you have it. I wouldn't recommend cranking the volume much louder than you intend to listen to them because if your source is powerful enough, in theory at least, you could blow the drivers.

I wouldn't think there's be a problem with playing your Ipod for long period of time. Ipods are hard drive based, yes? I've left my computer powered on for a month solid (hard drive and all) and it still works fine. You should burn them in for as long as you feel like doing. 2-3 days should be sufficient...longer if you wish. The beuity of this is that you can't really do it for too long (as long as you don't go overkill on the volume) and you can listen to your favorite music in the process.

Dec 29, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 16
Who the hell knows if it matters or not but I tend to use music with a vast dynamic range. Kid A comes to mind as well as bjork's Homogenic. Those two on repeate have burned in my headphones for the past few years.

Dec 29, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 16
What should you use for burning your Grados?

Kerosene and a match would probably work.

Dec 29, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fante7

And don't forget to listen to them to see what changes have occurred.

Dec 29, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Seconded.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 29, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

That should probably make your grados warmer. lol.

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 16
Radio static does the job pretty nicely and it saves you from having to choose a really long playlist for burn in.

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 16
Thanks for the help so far. I started burning them in last night and I was wondering, is it necessary to burn them in for more than a couple days? I've seen multiple figures thrown around.

Dec 30, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #11 of 16
I'd go for a few days. Just plug them in and let them play at a fairly loud (but not insanely loud) volume. If you're using an iPod, just set it to shuffle play and let it rip. If not, I'd change out the CD a couple times a day.

Dec 30, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #13 of 16
My experience has been to leave them for about 4 days straight at normal levels and even then they seem to keep improving.If you leave them all night,place something over them to dampen the sound or you might not sleep well
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
My experience has been to leave them for about 4 days straight at normal levels and even then they seem to keep improving.If you leave them all night,place something over them to dampen the sound or you might not sleep well
smily_headphones1.gif

No worries, I've got them down in the basement.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 8:53 AM Post #15 of 16
I usually burn in my Grados and associated equipment by selecting about 10 of my favorite albums and randomizing this playlist and playing it on repeat for a day or two. At a volume a little louder than my average max listening volume.

Specific stuff that usually makes it to my burn-in selection:
- Prodigy - Fat of the land
- Oasis - Definitely Maybe
- Some remastered Doors CD
- Maybe some RHCP
- Something with really nice acoustic guitars
- Some electronica (Air, Phoenix, maybe Björk)
- Some Stones, maybe some Dylan

(The tricky part about using older material is that older cds are mastered with lower gains, so these don't really burn your cans in very effectively, unless you adjust the gain.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back