What to use as foam for headphone pads?
Jun 30, 2014 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

newn

New Head-Fier
Is there some kind of material I could use as foam for the pads? I'm making my own (I want them to be a bit taller, as right now my ears are touching the inside of the headphones).

I know that you could use pretty much anything, but I don't want it to mess with the way my headphones sound (I have very sensitive hearing), so I should probably think more carefully about that, hence I've decided to ask you guys! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 5
This is going to be pretty much a matter of personal preference. If you look on ebay you will find a range of plastic and even natural sponges. Probably of more consequence is the covering material and whether it effects a seal, if that is the manufacturer's intent.

If you're worried about changing the sound, change one and compare it with the unchanged one.

There are also aftermarket pads for most phones, although you don't say what you've got.

w

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 5
  This is going to be pretty much a matter of personal preference. If you look on ebay you will find a range of plastic and even natural sponges. Probably of more consequence is the covering material and whether it effects a seal, if that is the manufacturer's intent.

If you're worried about changing the sound, change one and compare it with the unchanged one.

There are also aftermarket pads for most phones, although you don't say what you've got.

w

Superlux 668B is what I have. I don't really want to buy another pads, as they cost a fortune, not to mention the shipping (original pads would cost me one third of the price of the headphones). I wanted to buy velour pads originally, but the price was more than half of the headphones (with shipping), that's just silly. I'm planning to use velour as the covering material.

Jul 1, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 5
The insides of the pads only affect the sound when the outside material is porous. ie, velour pads need more isolating stuffing, pleather/leather not so much.

I've found foam hard to work with. You either get very soft stuff that can compress easily, or you risk having stiff pads.
I like taking memory foam sample blocks and shred them with scissors, and using that as loose packing. Then get some premium velour and make your stitches tight. 

But, you're better off buying pads. You'll spend $15-30 in supplies and then you need to add in the time and labor. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 5
  The insides of the pads only affect the sound when the outside material is porous. ie, velour pads need more isolating stuffing, pleather/leather not so much.

I've found foam hard to work with. You either get very soft stuff that can compress easily, or you risk having stiff pads.
I like taking memory foam sample blocks and shred them with scissors, and using that as loose packing. Then get some premium velour and make your stitches tight. 

But, you're better off buying pads. You'll spend $15-30 in supplies and then you need to add in the time and labor. 

Thanks. I'll just cover these pads in velour instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back