What to upgrade to from a JVC XL-E34 CD PLAYER?
Dec 3, 2002 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ramtha604

100+ Head-Fier
Hey there folks,

I'm currently using a JVC XL-E34 CD PLAYER fed through a Porta CORDA (on a 26 volts supply) to a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 250-250, and I'm planning to upgrade my source. My first question is if anyone knows the JVC XL-E34 and/or how good it is (comparable to cdps of what pricrange?). I'm currently planning to do a final amp purchase buying either the EarMax Pro or a micro-ZOTL, or maybe I'll make a stop at the Corda Headamp. I'd of course like a source that is worthy of such an amp and headphones (currently the 250-250's, later maybe some grado 325 or even some higher end audio technicas. Do you think a new or used (doesn't matter for me) CD Player betwen 250 and 450 euro could do such a setup justice? What player do you think is best in that price range (again both, used or new)? Or Should I get a good Transport and an Art DIO?

Please recommend whatever you think would work best! Thanks a lot for any contributions!

Dec 3, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 3
Hello again. I just read the first few posts of the thread (awesome budget component alert part II) about the Philips DVD 963SA DVD/SACD/Upsampling CD player and thought "this is exactly what I'm looking for". Do you think there is anything that can beat this player at around € 400?

edit: Haha, another update! I found this in the other thread:

Quote:

Originally posted by BoyElroy
Just to continue the thread-that-will-not-go-away: stopped in at J and R today and the sales man said they had 69 or so on order and 29 of them were already pre-sold. Unfortunately, he knew nothing more about delivery dates; this week, tomorrow, next year...?

BTW, they have the Sony ES555 SACD Player marked down to $599.

Do you think this player sounds better by a margin that justifies spending 100 to 200 euros more? I could imagine buying one if it is worth it.

Dec 8, 2002 at 9:29 AM Post #3 of 3
Come on, please help me!
biggrin.gif

I really need a new source, because (even without anything to compare to) I am really starting to suspect my JVC to be somewhat lacking in dynamics, blackness and general detail/smoothness (seems to be kinda metallic-sounding too) after having done some really serious listening with it in my current setup.

It would be great if could somehow get my hands on a CDP that maybe has a coaxial and/or optical out, supports dvd, sacd, cd-rw, dvd-a and has at least decent redbook plaback and transport qualifications (you know, just in case I decide to get a nice (maybe modded) external dac some time later).

I'm sure other folks are looking for the same kind of information, too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back