What to upgrade next?
Sep 14, 2006 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

con771

New Head-Fier
I've been reading here for a couple of weeks now. I receintly bought a pair of 880's and love their sound. However, my source is a soundblaster live card and now I'm looking to improve the sound quality.

I have been reading about the options avail. including buying a new soundcard, DAC, Amp, or External DAC/amp all in one.

I have about $200 to start with. What would be your first purchase and why?

Would you get a new soundcard and run directly from that while saving for a DAC/amp or would you get an external DAC/amp combo like the Total Bithead?

Any help would be appriciated

Sep 15, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 7
I'd upgrade the soundcard, even if its just to an Audigy rather than an X-fi or EMU. The Live! series are dreadful cards.

Sep 18, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 7
you could do a usb/amp a la headroom's total bithead ($199 brand spankin' new). another option is to get a new soundcard like the juli@ or perhaps the 0404 and go analog out into something like a go-vibe. you can eventually get yourself a DAC and a better amp. a decent soundcard will set you up for an upgrade path. for instance you could upgrade on the amp first (for a little while i went analog out from my juli@ into a headfive and it sounded real good) and then go for a DAC later on. if you plan on continually improving on source i recommend you spend more of your money on the soundcard for now. keep in mind you may need adapters to plug your cans into the soundcard.

the DT880s will definitely respond to upgraded components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back