what to upgrade? dac or headphones
Sep 10, 2015 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kdejonge

Head-Fier
Ok I recently got some money.. you all know what that means.. upgrade time!

Currently I have the following setup:
He-400i
Gustard h10 (happy with this)
Rotel ra12 integrated amp (and dac)

Now what to upgrade:
I can trade in my he-400i for a LCD-2f or a he-560, but most folks tell me there isn't much difference and upgrade is minimal.
I can also add a standalone dac, gugnir multibit, to my system to use instead of the rotel dac.

Thoughts/ hints? What would be best to upgrade? I kinda want the audeze ... but the gugnir multibit is also really nice!

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 4
I haven't heard the HE-400i. But I did think the HE-560s to be a good bit better than the HE-400.

Have you considered getting a DAP + portable headphones for on the go?

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 4
I'd say that in general headphone upgrades make more difference than DAC upgrades.

The HE-560 and the LCD-2F are very different headphones. The most significant differences are bass quantity and soundstage. The LCD2-F has a more impactful bass and the HE-560 has great imaging and a large soundstage.

If possible, you should listen to both headphones yourself before buying.

Going for a portable upgrade like cel suggested might also be worth considering.

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 4
My preference is always headphones, then amp with enough power, then clean DAC. I'd look at headphones first. That being said, looking at a pair for on the go usage is smart if you want that. The LCD-2 is great on every revision... if that's what calls you, that'll be the biggest difference you see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back