What To Upgrade, And In What Order?
Sep 3, 2011 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

joejoejoe

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone.  First time posting here, and chances are I should have done it a while ago instead of stressing myself out...

Anyways, here is my current situation and setup.  I am running an Audio-Technica AT-LP-120 Direct Drive Professional Turntable for vinyl listening, only using the built in pre-amp.  I either connect directly to my Sennheiser HD-600's, or I run the input into my Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card.  When the sound card is in use, I am either connected with the HD-600's through the volume knob input, or listening on my antiquated Logitech Z-2300's.  I listen to music from the turntable and from the computer.

Obviously, upgrades are needed, I am just unsure of where to start.

Do I only need to replace the computer soundcard with something like the Asus Xonar XT which has a fairly respected built-in headphone amp?  Should I disregard the soundcard and get something like the Audio gd FUN?  Forget the both of those and get a NuForce Icon HDP?  Or even a mix and match of something listed here?

I am not concerned with the Z-2300 speakers at the moment, as I plan on using the HD-600s as my primary listening source, and do not intend to upgrade speakers/monitors until I sort out these other elements.

I honestly do not know if I would need a sound card update if I was to purchase the gd FUN or the NuForce, or if the sound card would still play an important role.  So, hopefully that makes sense, and any advice or recommendations of what to go with, what to check out instead, or if there is something I don't need at all would be highly appreciated.  Thanks!

Sep 4, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 7
You won't need a sound card upgrade if you get the gd FUN/NuForce DAC/Amp. Those are external 'sound cards' but since they're not really 'cards' per se they are usually referred as DACs, in this case, external DACs.

At your price point around MSRP 350USD and below-ish: 

External DAC + AMP solutions:

Internal DAC + AMP solutions (Soundcards with built in headphone amps):

Hope this somehow helps.

Sep 4, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 7
I would wholeheartedly recommend the Essence ST/X here. Its internal amp is great for high impedance headphones such as your HD600s. You get a measurably excellent DAC and an amp which is only flawed isofar as it has a high-ish output impedance - which won't be an issue with your headphones.

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the replies thus far.  Right now I am leaning toward the Asus Essence ST, and still not entirely sure if there's any benefit to purchasing an external DAC in addition.  If I get the Asus ST, would it still be beneficial to get something else to drive the turntable compared to just the built in pre-amp running into the ST?

As for costs, I am willing to spend around $500, perhaps more if warranted.  I have read many good things about the audio gd fun using earth/moon op-amps.  I don't intend on replacing the HD-600s for a while, so I feel that anything after $500 would be worth saving until I felt it was time to purchase speakers. 

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 7
Silly edit not working.

I meant to say I am willing to spend around $500.  I feel that anything past that would be overkill due to the fact I am not investing in higher quality speakers just yet.

Curious if I should purchase something to power the turntable (since it is only going off it's built in pre-amp, and then to the sound card) as well, or if the Asus Essence ST would eliminate the need for that as well. 

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 7
Ended up going with the Asus Essence ST.  Currently taking some time getting used to the new sound, as it is significantly different from the Creative X-FI XtremeMusic.

It seems to have greater clarity, at times maybe a bit too bright, and the bass is rather subdued.  That's through RCA output to my Z-2300's.  Direct headphone connection to my HD-600's has a better landscape for sure.  I've read different opinions on soundcard burn in, and I know some of it is psychological considering I listened to the same songs hundreds of times on the former setup.  Hopefully things even out some, or maybe I am just so used to hearing music with all the added effects and muddiness of the X-Fi, so my brain is anticipating things in a different manner.

Curious as where to go from here.  I would like better equalizer options, so perhaps a receiver and amp are in order at some point.

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Ended up going with the Asus Essence ST.  Currently taking some time getting used to the new sound, as it is significantly different from the Creative X-FI XtremeMusic.

It seems to have greater clarity, at times maybe a bit too bright, and the bass is rather subdued.  That's through RCA output to my Z-2300's.  Direct headphone connection to my HD-600's has a better landscape for sure.  I've read different opinions on soundcard burn in, and I know some of it is psychological considering I listened to the same songs hundreds of times on the former setup.  Hopefully things even out some, or maybe I am just so used to hearing music with all the added effects and muddiness of the X-Fi, so my brain is anticipating things in a different manner.

Curious as where to go from here.  I would like better equalizer options, so perhaps a receiver and amp are in order at some point.

Exact thoughts that I had when I first got my first >85db SNR DAC the iBasso D6. I didn't know that music could sound so good and clear. The sterile sounding D6 uses dual wolfson DACs, so when I switched to Essence ST my first impression was, it was warmer in regards to the highs and bass, but since the output impedance of the headphone out is 10ohm didn't do justice to my Grados, on the HD650 it was quite awesome sounding though.

My opinion on soundcard burning is that, there is none except to burn-in your mind in getting used to the sound. Changing amps does make things sound better though :D.

Give it a run for a week or 2 and all should be well. One thing for certain, coming from crappier sounding soundcards like Creative SB Audigy 1st Gen, Xonar DG (it's 20$) I'm able to appreciate good DACs like the STX/ST.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back