What to try next
Apr 4, 2024 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Infinifox

New Head-Fier
I have slowly been working my way into hifi particularly open back headphones. I started my journey 5 years ago with a HD6XX and enjoyed them for quite awhile but wanted something different. I had read the Focal Elex was a big brother to that so I sold my HD6XX and upgraded to it.

Since then I have also gotten a Audeze LCD-X and a Hifiman Arya Organic. Right now I am sitting on all 3 headphones and looking for suggestions on what to look at next. I will be wearing whatever headphone I have for at least 8-9 hours a day as I work from home. It will be used for meetings, movies, music, and gaming. My preferred genres of music are rock and metal mostly with some EDM. This is being driven by a motu m2 DAC that goes to a schiit magni.

I upgraded to the audeze lcd-x as it was suggested a lot for people who liked the same genres of music. I loved the sound out of them as It felt like it had a warm, intimate sound with some decent bass (I have them EQ'd). This was my first time hearing planar bass and it made my focal elex bass almost sound muddy in comparison but the weight ended up being an issue for me. I could do the headband mod/get the carbon fiber headband/get a new headband but not sure it would solve my issue.

I bought the hifiman arya organics to as they were similar in weight to my focal elexs and people talked about their comfort and they were also planars. I found they were comfortable and can be worn all day but the sound is a lot more bright and airy even with them eq'd to knock it down a bunch but still find I prefer the LCD-X.

I was looking at the ZMF line of aeolus, auteur classic (might be to neutral), and end game of atrium or caldera. Would you have any other suggestions for me to look at or maybe steer me away from any of these?

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 3
I would add the Meze 109 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back