What to try next?
May 8, 2006 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Alu

Headphoneus Supremus
So I started out with a very decent (at least to my ears) AKG K701, and I like it very much. I then bought the HF-1, and I love seeing how different headphones actually can be. I never thought that there'd actually be such a huge difference.

The K701 loses when it comes to bass quantity against the HF-1 (it shows me bass in songs I never knew there even was bass
tongue.gif
), however it feels like the bass (sometimes a bit too much compared to the rest) that the HF-1 has drowns the detail of various songs. But I very much love that warm feeling that comes from it. The fact that it doesn't have any soundstage doesn't help though. Now, when comparing the two 'phones with the music I tried (Yoko Kanno stuff and some Jazz), the HF-1 loses, because that kind of music practically lives from its rich details, huge variety of instruments applied, and soundstaging. The K701 is able to show off its capacities in its sweet mids and highs here.

Now with good ole rock there seems to be a totally different approach that I have to take. I can only confirm what everyone says. Grado headphones are exceptional with rock. When I want to listen to Master of Puppets I reach for the HF-1 instead of the K701. As for those Grados specifically now I like that dark timbre that they seem to add to the music. They aren't tiring at all to listen to with this. Not to say that the K701 with rock, it's just that the HF-1 are a lot more fun with their closer presentation. Some people said that Grados were really decent with acoustic guitars, which those absolutely are, but I personally do prefer the AKG for this.

On a sidenote I think that both cans are really comfortable. And sometimes I get the impression that I could even wear the Grados for a longer period of time. Also I'd like to mention that the K701 have about 170+ hours on them (without being too sure of this), and as for the HF-1 I've no idea, as I got them from another member, I guess I could bother asking once. Also I almost payed the same amount of money for both of them (I got a new K701 really cheap).

So, I want to try something different. Maybe a headphone situated between those two that I own? Meaning that I'd like to have a very detailed one with a darker timbre to it. HD650/HD600? Or is there anything else that you'd suggest for me to try? How's the RS-1 compared to an AKG K701?

May 8, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
K1000.
k1000smile.gif

It was awesome getting to hear it (and look extremely dorky wearing it) at the National Meet.

But then I'd need a very decent amplifier too!
eek.gif

May 8, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
So, I want to try something different. Maybe a headphone situated between those two that I own? Meaning that I'd like to have a very detailed one with a darker timbre to it. HD650/HD600? Or is there anything else that you'd suggest for me to try? How's the RS-1 compared to an AKG K701?

From what I've seen, the 701 is between the HF-1 and HD-650.
The RS-1 is close to the HF-1, it's just a little better (IMO) and probably not as bassy.

May 8, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 12
The K1000 is definitely NOT between the HF-1 and K701. If anything, the K701 is between the HF-1 and the K1000. I'd say the HD650 sounds like what you're looking for; it's darker and more forward than the K701, while still with a decent soundstage and detail presentation. The HD600, I find to actually be MORE trebly than the K701.

May 8, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
So, I want to try something different. Maybe a headphone situated between those two that I own? Meaning that I'd like to have a very detailed one with a darker timbre to it.

How about Grado GS-1000? You also may want to consider Sony Qualia or SA5000 if you want detail.

May 8, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 12
Perhaps something from Audio-Technica? A900 LTD. They have great highs and lows.

May 9, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Perhaps something from Audio-Technica? A900 LTD. They have great highs and lows.

A900LTDs post K701 are unlistenable. Yes, good bass and treble, but where the hell did the midrange go? I absolutely hated those phones for that reason alone.

On the Senn side, try out a 595 vs. 650. I much preferred the 595 out of personal taste than either of the 6-series, despite both the 600 and 650 clearly sounding more refined.

May 9, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I would say to try a Sony SA5000! It is one of my favorite cans, and it blends in perfectly with my K701, and 325i!

I actually thought about this, but having read that they're brighter than the K701 they'll probably be unbearable for longer listening sessions. I do want to get me a singlepower amp though, which might be a great match for them.

May 9, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
I actually thought about this, but having read that they're brighter than the K701 they'll probably be unbearable for longer listening sessions. I do want to get me a singlepower amp though, which might be a great match for them.

Now your talking! My SA5000's and PPX3-Slam sound wonderful together, like a match made in heaven!

Also, they may be bright headphones, but they are very clean sounding, and I find listening to them for long sessions, not a problem at all!!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back