What to read?
May 24, 2004 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

MuZI

Headphoneus Supremus
I`m gunna go to the library soon, i am wondering which book i should read?

I`m prolly gunna pick up:

Some John Grisham Book
Da Vinci Code ( Hope it is ebtter than Angels and Deamons )
The 5 people you meet in heavn

Suggestions?

May 24, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 25
Get the Da Vinci Code - you will not be disappointed...

Try some Tom Clancy if you like mindless action and some rather faroff plots
very_evil_smiley.gif

Lord of the rings...unless you've already read it...

May 24, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 25
Author: Kurt Vonnegut

Titles: Cat's Cradle
or Slaughterhouse Five

Funny, crazy and just great reading. You'll want to read all his books.

May 24, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 25
First thing that came to mind when I read the thread title was The Da Vinci Code.

The author whose name I forget is working on the sequel now according to his latest interview. BTW, he put some code on the dust jacket of The Da Vinci Code that tells about the sequel somewhat....

May 25, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 25
A book that i really liked was Timeline by Micheal Crichton
other enjoyable books include ones by Clive Cussler - lots of action

Other books that are fantastic and if you like studying and thinking while you read, i'm sure you will like

The Outsider/The Stranger by Albert Camus - my favorite book studied in school
1984 by George Orwell - this one wil blow you away!
A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Prince by Machiavelli
Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - really fast read

as you can see, i'm a sucker for utopian/dystopian literature - theres a couple others, but they aren't as interesting and rather hard to read

and if you havent already, The Lord of the Rings series

May 25, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 25
Da Vinci Code was a good read, all told. I'd also highly recommend some Dostoyevsky--Crime and Punishment or Brothers Karamazov. Probably my favorite non-fantasy author, the latter being one of my favorite all time books.

May 25, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 25
Some recent "easy" reading I've done:

Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown -- ok, well, it's a good story, but it's got plenty of problems... see my review at amazon.com (hempcamp) for more. Worth reading just to see what all the fuss is about.

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver -- a couple of years old now, but boy what an excellent story! Tells the epic account of a family that travels to The Congo in the late 1950s. Told from the perspective of the 4 daughters and mother who were dragged there by their overbearing father, who is an overzealous Baptist minister.

Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa -- superb account, pulitzer prize winner, first in a series about WWII theaters by Rick Atkinson.

I'm reading Achebe's "Things Fall Apart" right now. I'd like to read Albom's Five People You Meet... soon, and the latest Harry Potter.

--Chris

May 25, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Try some Tom Clancy if you like mindless action and some rather faroff plots
very_evil_smiley.gif

No no no, what you want are Richard Marcinko's Rogue Warrior novels. They beat the crap out of Tom Clancy for mindless bloody action & violence as well as farout plots. Start off with Rogue Warrior: Green Team and Rogue Warrior: Seal Force Alpha.

May 25, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 25
The Paradox of Choice: Why More is Less
by Barry Schwartz.

This book should be required reading by Head-Fi members. The premise is that the more choice we have as consumers, the less happy we can be with products because of various factors such as habituation, opportunity costs, etc.

It explains a lot about the chronic upgraditis that most of us have.

May 27, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 25
The Dark Tower series by Steven King is stupendously good. Fantastic. Also anything else by Steven King. (note: that is not the name of the book, but just me saying that all books that Steven King writes are good.) The Bourne series by Robert Ludlum is also really good.

May 27, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 25
I just finished reading Angels and Demons and am half way through the Da Vinci code. If it were not for all the fuss I would have packed it in after the first chapter. Sadly, the guy just can't write worth beans. I realize this is all pulpy nonsense fiction but still, I was hoping for some literal style here. He loves hyperbole. He gets some fine ideas from his wife but that is about it. His latin skills are pitiful and his french is nearly as bad.

Many like it though so don't despair! I recommend something Russian, how about the Karamasov Brothers. My all time top choice. I rank it next to the Bible
wink.gif

May 27, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #13 of 25
I liked Camus' La peste - "il-y-a plus de choses des hommes a admirer que mepriser" is a quote that will always stay with me. The line was delivered by Father Paneloux and roughly translates as " there are more things about me to admire than despise"

For light reading you cannot beat Terry Pratchett's Disc World novels. You need to read them in sequence to get the sense of the Disc World, the early ones are OK, and the later ones get better and better.

Also try the Golden Torc series by Julian May - they tell a brilliant story that cover millions of years and is very readable and very enjoyable.

There is always the classic Dune series of novels by Frank Herbert.

For interesting historical novels try Bernard Cornwell's "Sharpe" series - another gripping series.

Happy reading.

May 27, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 25
Most of these have already been posted, but:

George Orwell: 1984, Animal Farm
Tom Clancy: Rainbow Six
JRR Tolkein: Hobbit, Lord of the Rings (all three)
Michael Crichton: Congo, Andromeda Strain, Great Train Robbery, Sphere
Jon Krakauer: Into Thin Air
Ray Bradbury: Fahrenheit 451

May 27, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #15 of 25
A book on love?
biggrin.gif

Okay, how about tantra?
biggrin.gif

I've been ripping through Zacharia Sitchin's 'The Earth Chronicles' for their history entertainment. It has opened up my mind to other possibilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back