What to put under speakers?
Mar 5, 2007 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

udo

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I own a set of floor standing Tannoy speakers that I want to put on earlevel, about 5-10 cm higher than they currently are.
What could I do to achive this?
Put a nice block of wood underneath each of the speakers?
Or are there caveats?
Please post your advice!

Thanks,
Udo

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 32
Some speakers come with spikes.

I didn't even find mine until I moved house and looked further in the original box. lol

Might wanna check there as mine we're just taped on the side and I completely missed them when unpacking.

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 32
I have the same question. I moved to a second story apartment in an old building. I have a def tech sub that I love using but I'd hate to annoy the neighbors. I've heard of using hockey pucks, or vibra pods, or marbles, but I haven't tried any of them yet.

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 32
Concrete, a little bigger (lenght width) in size then the speaker and then the speaker on spikes on the concrete.

That should do it.

Rgds

Hans.

And this is very serious meant! No joke!

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosterw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Concrete, a little bigger (lenght width) in size then the speaker and then the speaker on spikes on the concrete.

That should do it.

Rgds

Hans.

And this is very serious meant! No joke!

I've also seen people use spikes on cinder blocks.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 32
spikes are the way to go. if you're worried about damaging your floor (ie if your floor is made out of marshmallows), concrete is the next best option.

(hey i don't believe in CD mods or ERS paper, i have to have SOME sort of superstition...)

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 32
some type of spikes are a good idea because, assuming they are adjustable, they allow you to attain a good level alignment and solid footing. If they still aren't tall enough, concrete or maple butcher blocks for better aesthetics should be good enough.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 32
my cat's litter boxes sit under my front speakers(plastic w/ top cover) i guess its the combination of plastic and litter+poop keeps the speakers from shaking the floor.
eggosmile.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #12 of 32
Mar 7, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 32
"my cat's litter boxes sit under my front speakers(plastic w/ top cover) i guess its the combination of plastic and litter+poop keeps the speakers from shaking the floor."

Plus, it's safe to assume, you have the worst smelling speakers in town.

Mar 9, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #14 of 32
if you're a super-cheapskate like me, cinder blocks are cheap and acoustically inert

in fact, just one cinderblock could just be the perfect thing; i'd take some nice cloth and drape it over them, tuck it underneath, wouldn't look half bad

Mar 9, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by spambob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my cat's litter boxes sit under my front speakers(plastic w/ top cover) i guess its the combination of plastic and litter+poop keeps the speakers from shaking the floor.
eggosmile.gif

Mental note to shelf. Never buy speakers from spambob.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back