What to put on my Zune
Jul 4, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omari149 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rip all your cd's to mp3 192kbps, and when you get your Zune just convert the mp3's to wma in the Zune software. Using just wma on the Zune improves battery life and wma has better quality than Mp3's.

This is terrible advice. Even if it were true that WMA had higher quality than MP3 (and it's not), WMA created by transcoding from MP3 cannot possibly have better quality than the MP3 that they were made from.

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #17 of 22
Febs is right, it's just not possible to create a better quality file from its parent. Is it true that wma uses less battery though?

Jul 4, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Febs is right, it's just not possible to create a better quality file from its parent. Is it true that wma uses less battery though?

I wasn't saying that. I was simply saying that wma has better quality while being easy on the space on the hardrive at the same time.

I already know you can't create a better quality file from its parent.

Jul 4, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is terrible advice. Even if it were true that WMA had higher quality than MP3 (and it's not), WMA created by transcoding from MP3 cannot possibly have better quality than the MP3 that they were made from.

If I get transaprency at a lower bitrate/smaller file size for one format or the other, I'll just rip to that to be honest. I'm not that fussed about archiving and then ripping again for portables. I wouldn't go CD>FLAC>MP3>WMA or CD>MP3>WMA. It'll just be CD>WMA or FLAC>WMA etc

I just thought that one might be miles further out in terms of quality on the Zune, maybe WMA10pro because it's it's own native codec?
blink.gif

It's a pity it doesn't support it's own lossless, surely they'll fix that in a firmware?

Jul 4, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #21 of 22
I used to rip all my music with LAME 3.97 with either 320 CBR or V-0. But after I did some research regarding battery life and SQ I decided to go with WMA 10PRO at 256CBR. One thing I realized is that the treble sounds better in comparison to LAME MP3 320CBR. I compared the qualities of these two different codec with 2 different bit rates with Muse's Origin of Symmetry... good stuff. To me I thought the quality is the same except that treble is a bit better with WMA10Pro. But really,.. I think the best idea is to rip some of your favorite songs into 2 different codec and do some AB testing.

Jul 5, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LAME VBR v-0 here.
Transcoded all my flac library, easier on space than CBR and highest quality possible.

I did exactly the same thing, and it sounds great. I'll use the flac files when listening on the home stereo, and the mp3's are for the Zune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back