What to pair with CAL! ?
May 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Grybpjovys

New Head-Fier
My main source now is integrated soundcard in motherboard, even my htc sensation gives better sound that my computer, so I want an upgrade. I have arround 100euros, what should I get? A soundcard, or a DAC/AMP? I think sound starts from sound card, so I should get it, main question is which? I found a bit lower that I can spend Creative X-FI Titanium (non HD, HD version costs almost twice, but if there is very huge difference in sound quality, I may consider getting HD version, so how big is difference between Titanium and Titanium HD?) would it be good? Or i should get dac/amp?

P.S. I have very old creative soundblaster live! 5.1 (model SB0100). I would try this, but i wasn't able to find drivers for windows 7, how do you think, is it worth trying somehow getting drivers for this card? 

thanks in advance

May 15, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 11

trog

500+ Head-Fier
Well i have an ancient CT4830 and the daniel_k drivers rock so you may want to try those out 
darthsmile.gif

May 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 11

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
So a used Creative X-Fi titanium (non-HD) or an Asus Xonar DG or DGX.

May 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 11

jackwess

fabio-fi, jackwess and formula1 are all the same person.
May 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 11

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:
My main source now is integrated soundcard in motherboard, even my htc sensation gives better sound that my computer, so I want an upgrade. I have arround 100euros, what should I get? A soundcard, or a DAC/AMP? I think sound starts from sound card, so I should get it, main question is which? I found a bit lower that I can spend Creative X-FI Titanium (non HD, HD version costs almost twice, but if there is very huge difference in sound quality, I may consider getting HD version, so how big is difference between Titanium and Titanium HD?) would it be good? Or i should get dac/amp?

P.S. I have very old creative soundblaster live! 5.1 (model SB0100). I would try this, but i wasn't able to find drivers for windows 7, how do you think, is it worth trying somehow getting drivers for this card? 

thanks in advance

As you can get a new Asus Xonar DG for $30, that comes with Windows 7 drivers, why wast time with the Live 5.1.

May 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 11

Grybpjovys

New Head-Fier
So you all suggest buying a cheapest soundcard? Isn't there any difference between Xonar DG and Creative Titanium? What would be better, cheapest soundcard+amp or just a decent soundcard? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I haven't researched a lot in audiophilics yet :)

May 16, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 11

fabio-fi

fabio-fi, jackwess and formula1 are all the same person.
If you're going to use headphones, and want a nice gaming/music experience = Xonar Dg
The Titanium is more gaming oriented, and it doesnt have a built in headamp + driver support sucks. 

May 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 11

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:
So you all suggest buying a cheapest sound card? Isn't there any difference between Xonar DG and Creative Titanium? What would be better, cheapest sound card+amp or just a decent sound card? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I haven't researched a lot in audiophilics yet :)

The Titanium (non-HD) should good for gaming, also good support for older EAX 5.0 games.
I think Creative Labs charges $10 (US) for their alchemy software, which allows you to use full EAX 5.0 with Vista & Win 7.
I do not think game publisher really have direct support for EAX 5.0 anymore, but in whole it would be considered a better gaming card then the Xonar DG.

I prefer Xonars myself, control panel is simple to use, it has a half-way decent headphone amplifier and Dolby Digital (Dolby Virtual Headphone).
Lots of Xonar owners are happy gaming with their Xonar.

May 17, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #9 of 11

Grybpjovys

New Head-Fier
So for headphones, for <100euros xonar DG is best choice? What about similar cards like xonar DG/DGX/DSX/ DX/XD/A? Gaming isn't my top priority (although I'm competetive tf2 player, but surrounding that I have now is good, I can hear from which direction I hear something). I want from my headphones more power (that's what for AMP is, isn't it?) and bass.

Thanks for answering all above! :)

May 17, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 11

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:
So for headphones, for <100euros xonar DG is best choice? What about similar cards like xonar DG/DGX/DSX/ DX/XD/A? Gaming isn't my top priority (although I'm competetive tf2 player, but surrounding that I have now is good, I can hear from which direction I hear something). I want from my headphones more power (that's what for AMP is, isn't it?) and bass.
Thanks for answering all above! :)

The Xonar DX, D1, DS, DSX, do not have a headphone amplifier. The Xonar DG & DGX do have a half-way decent headphone amplifier.
The DGX is the PCI-Express version of the DG (PCI).
The DG(X) do come with a better DAC then whatever comes built into your motherboard.

The Xonar DX & D1 do come with a better DAC then the DG(X) and a slightly better surround sound (7.1), verses the DG(X) 5.1 surround sound.
So the Xonar DX & D1 would be better if you were going to pair your sound card with an external add-on headphone amplifier.

The DX, D1, DG, DGX do come with Dolby Digital.

The DS & DSX do not have Dolby Digital, but come with DTS

May 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #11 of 11

Grybpjovys

New Head-Fier
Quote:
The Xonar DX, D1, DS, DSX, do not have a headphone amplifier. The Xonar DG & DGX do have a half-way decent headphone amplifier.
The DGX is the PCI-Express version of the DG (PCI).
The DG(X) do come with a better DAC then whatever comes built into your motherboard.

The Xonar DX & D1 do come with a better DAC then the DG(X) and a slightly better surround sound (7.1), verses the DG(X) 5.1 surround sound.
So the Xonar DX & D1 would be better if you were going to pair your sound card with an external add-on headphone amplifier.

The DX, D1, DG, DGX do come with Dolby Digital.

The DS & DSX do not have Dolby Digital, but come with DTS

Thanks very much for this info! I will probably get something with Dolby Digital (I thought, maybe those technologies will help somehow to me? :D) and get amplifier later (like FiiO E9). Or i'm just getting Xonar DG

Thanks very much to all who helped, really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread