What to look for in transports
May 23, 2007 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Morph201

Headphoneus Supremus
Currently, I'm in the market for a decent transport (i.e. can read 0s and 1s without any issues)... what does one look for as far as stats? Since this device will be regulated to ONLY reading data (not the conversion), I don't want to spend a gob of money 100 or under would be sufficient. Do DVD players make better transports than dedicated cdps? I was looking at a cheap Sony DVD which employ Precision Drive3 something that helps correct errors during reads of warped discs, not sure if it's really effective, but...

May 23, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 9
At this price level, it's really a crapshoot.

Ideally the transport would have good clock, good connectors, nice power supply, nice drive, good dampening. Nothing cheap has these. DVD players don't have clock to generate 44.1khz for CDs but are usually generated. They don't have BNC connectors to external DACs. They use noisy switching power supplies. The drive's are cheap and nothing is dampened. I would just read up on reviews which might give insight on the ability to read many discs.

May 24, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At this price level, it's really a crapshoot.

Ideally the transport would have good clock, good connectors, nice power supply, nice drive, good dampening. Nothing cheap has these. DVD players don't have clock to generate 44.1khz for CDs but are usually generated. They don't have BNC connectors to external DACs. They use noisy switching power supplies. The drive's are cheap and nothing is dampened. I would just read up on reviews which might give insight on the ability to read many discs.

Yeah.. & Don't forget build quality.. Greater vibration resistant the better.. My stock Sony S7700 trumps my Zenith 318 DVD player.. Not so much in overall sound quality..I guess it does the little things right.. With my DVD player My CDs sounded very digital, metalic,with a glazz over the music, & the sound was thin with less weight & tone... With my Sony S7700.. The sound is more analog sounding. Smoother, fuller, & warmer..But the most impressive is the black ground.. Notes just appear & disappear..I picture a black hole when listening to the music. In fact, at work I think about listening to my Sony player the majority of the time...

May 24, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #6 of 9
I recently called the kind folks at Benchmark and asked them what transports they have tested and they said that the Oppo 970H is what they called bit transparent and sends an excellent signal to the DAC1

May 24, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 9
The mechanical part of today's transport is not really important. Two-channel CD, SACD or DVD-A has very little bandwidth compared to the capabilities of super-fast optical readers. What's good for a computer is more than good enough for audio.
Most DVD players buffer many seconds of data and have sufficient time to check for errors and even re-read the same data if needed. That's proven technology that existed 10 years ago in portable CD players.
rolleyes.gif

Power supply noise is not high enough to cause an error in the recovery of the data from the read channel or flip digital 1's and 0's, but it could affect the noise level of the local clock circuit.
The real important factors for a good transport are clock noise level and data synchronization. Clock accuracy by itself is not improtant at all compared to the clock noise characteristics.
On the receiving side, the embedded clock signal is used for two purposes: timing the incoming digital data (not awfully critical) and for recovering the sample rate clock. The latter affects the timing precision of the generated analog signal, which translates to phase and pitch distortion.
The other important aspect in a transport is what it does with the recovered bits from the optical media. That's where the concept of "bit accurate" data stream prevails. The cheap units most likely just clock the recovered data with no alterations, which is the best from the perspective of fidelity to the source. I have a feeling that some units actually process the data and that's where it can get nasty. Upsamplers definietly alter the data, either by adding dithering for psychoacoustic effects or merely by errors due to lack of computational precision. Some may apply filtering to "fix" the data stream for you... Beware of "free" gifts...
evil_smiley.gif

My experience with cheap DVD players has been a hit and miss. For some time I actually enjoyed a dirt cheap unit which went on sale for $19.99 at Fry's... and did a great job!
I installed a shielded power cord but othertwise it was a stock unit. It served me real well for 3-4 years until the mechanical transport beat the dust and no replacement drives were available...
mad.gif

Recently I run a Zenith DVB-318 with good results (might be discontinued now) and the Oppo at the San Jose meet sounded really good. All these transports are not "good for the price". They are just good!

May 24, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #9 of 9
you have two options:
1) buy cheap transport and upgrade the clock
2) buy a cheap laptop, do a bit-perfect rip using special free software, and play from the hard drive. in this case the laptop is your transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back