What to keep?!
Feb 15, 2008 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Joelc87

100+ Head-Fier
I recently received a Micro amp and Micro DAC from HeadRoom. However I noticed the cable on my Shure SE530s are split and will need to purchase a new pair as they are past warranty. I'm now forced into the very bad situation of having to exchange either the amp or the DAC for a new pair of earphones. Which one should I keep and which one should I use for the exchange. Will probably go for the UE Triple.fi 10s since they have a replaceable cable, although I really do love the Shure sound sig.

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 6
Also, if there are any cheaper full sized dynamic headphones with a similar sound signature to the Shures, I'd be interested in these as well. I'm looking to move away from portable audio, since most portable amps don't have the sound I'm looking for, and the iPod doesn't have the greatest quality anyway. I'm actually just using the stock buds and iPod set up for when I'm just walking around at school. No sense in walking around listening to a $1000+ set up for 30 mins to an hour a day just between classes right? Anyway I'm creating a mini desktop listening station with my computer and Microstack for studying and really just need a nice sounding pair of headphones to go with it. My shures would've worked great until they broke. I have the insulation glued together using silicone sealant but that's just a temporary fix and I would like to replace them as soon as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you sell the amp, how are you going to use the DAC?

Well this is true but I've heard people saying to keep the source over the amps. I'm not sure why but I'm somewhat new at this so perhaps there's something they know that I don't. I did try plugging my earphones directly into the line out of the DAC with the built in line attenuator and while the SQ wasn't as good as with the amp(obviously)I'm sure it's cleaner sounding this way than with the amp plugged into my laptop's sound card.

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelc87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently received a Micro amp and Micro DAC from HeadRoom. However I noticed the cable on my Shure SE530s are split and will need to purchase a new pair as they are past warranty. I'm now forced into the very bad situation of having to exchange either the amp or the DAC for a new pair of earphones. Which one should I keep and which one should I use for the exchange. Will probably go for the UE Triple.fi 10s since they have a replaceable cable, although I really do love the Shure sound sig.

If I remember correctly, Shure would replace all E500/SE530 with defective cables, regardless of whether they were under warranty or not

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 6
Hmm interesting I looked around on their webpage and didn't see anything concerning this. Perhaps this warrants a call to Shure tomorrow. Can anyone else confirm this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back