What to Headphile Woody?
Mar 4, 2006 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I have a series of questions to ask about Headphile woodies and grados in general.

I'm currently considering a Headphile mod, but I can't decide which Grado model to use. I have the SR325i, but I'm not willing to waste the metal housing and go have it woodied, hence, I'm trying to decide which Grado model would be the best for the mods. It may sound confusing now, but hear me out.

I understand that all Grado models are essentially based on the same model, the SR60. As you go up the range, you get UHPLC voice coil wires, UHPLC headphones cords, improved rear metal screens and closer matched drivers. However, all these improvements (apart from the UHPLC voice coil wires and closer matched drivers) are completely pointless if you are going to take your phones for a Headphile woody and recable. For example, the UHPLC cable will be replaced and so will the whole air chamber. Hence, wouldn't Headphile modding a SR125 yield very similar results as modding a lower-end model such as the SR80?

After modding, both the SR125 and SR80 would sound essentially the same since they have the same air chambers, the same cable. The differences between a modded SR225 and a modded SR125 would even be less because they have similarly matched drivers, the same air chamber, the same cable as well as the same UHPLC voice coil wire?!

Therefore, I propose that Headphile modding any non metal/wood chambered Grado would yield extremely similar results, if not exactly the same. So economically, it would better to Headphile mod the SR80 than the SR225.

Has anyone compared the differences? Can anyone comment on what I've suggested?

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 3
I don't know if this will answer some of your questions: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/h...headphile.html

I had SR80 for little while before I returned it for refund because I liked the stock SR225 sound better. When I saw the 6moons review of Headphile's modded SR225 and Larry had it for sale...I had to purchase it
orphsmile.gif

I returned the stock SR225 right after I placed an ordering for the 6Moons' Heaphile modded SR225. I did not have an opportunity to compare directly between stock SR225 and Headphile's modded SR225, but from my memory comparison...I like the Headphile's modded SR225 sound much better. It absolutely looks better too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back