What to get?! Portable USB/DAC for iPhone and MacBook Pro
Sep 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Cmace127

New Head-Fier
I am relatively new to this forum but have been a music appreciator (semi-audiophile) for quite some time. I have always been quite particular about my speakers and IEM's and recently I sold an older audio interface that I was using for recording.

I am looking for a USB DAC and headphone amp that can be used with my iPhone 4 as well as with my MacBook Pro when connected to my Dynaudio studio monitors.

The idea is to have an ultra portable DAC/amp that is no larger than my iPhone for portable use with IEM's (it should bypass the iPhone's internal DAC). When I get home, I want to be able to plug it into my laptop and use it with my desktop monitors. It should be able to charge via USB while I'm using it so that its ready for the next day of use.

I have looked into the RSA predator and Pico (w/ DAC) along with a few others such as the FiiO E7 but am undecided. The most important features for me are SQ followed by portability and no hiss. Balanced outs would be nice too. Most of my music is 320 kbps ripped though iTunes. My price range is under $500 (preferably including decent cables to iPhone/laptop)

I have read a lot about all the different options but am more confused now than when I started out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 4
Bypass the internal DAC on the iPhone ? You'll need a special DAC/amp like the Fostex HP-P1 for that. Although for that much it might be a much better idea to upgrade depending on what you already have. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 4
indeed, for portable, there are only 2 options for getting digital out from idevices the cypherlabs algorithm solo or CLAS as its shortened to here, or the fostex HP-1, all other options, including those you mentioned will only work with usb, or from ipod/iphone analogue line out, ie using the idevice's dac, but bypassing the amp. the CLAS is dac only and wont work with any other transport, only ipod as with the fostex, so you cant have one that will work with the ipod and your laptop, it doesnt exist, as in this case the device acts as the usb host and controls the output of the idevice, your lappie will want to be host and thus wont work.

there are also only a couple of options well actually i can only think of 1 for balanced portable dac and thats the ibasso one (soz cant remember the name, but check out ibasso.com), this will work with usb input, or optical.

in short, you cannot have what you want. i would be looking at something more recent than the predator, its got a pretty rudimentary dac section imo 

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks very much for the advice. I guess I just figured that my laptop's internal DAC can be bypassed and so can the iPhone's so thought there might be an "all-in-one" package. Maybe one day.

Looks like I'll be spending some more time (and money) finding a good solution to this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back