What to get? MS1 or MS1i??
May 29, 2010 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

big-man

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, new here,but been looking a round a lot lately thought i best join =P anyway im looking to get some new cans, and having heard all the great things about grado BUT being from the uk where they are v.expensive comparatively (ms1's delivered $99-$109, grado sr60i £80-100 not inc dilivery). So basically i have narrowed it down to the MS1's. after having done a search i hear the diffrence is only cosmetic and that the housing is basically wider. is that really the only diffrence? if so how much wider is it? because weather they are protable id rather have a thinner housing, so unless its only slightly wider and there is no diffrence in anything else I would rather get the less potruding one.

Also if they are truely not portable at all (sizewise, leakage is not really an issue) then can anyone recommend sub £30 on ears? not the portapros or the PX200's, i already have both of these...

And finally if you have order from the alessandro site and are in the UK about how long did it take to arrive?

thanks for your help in advance =)

May 29, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 13
ms1i has wider housing, I believe it can make slightly wider soundstage, also, it has better looking 
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
MS-1i.

My reasoning? You will always wonder what you're missing out on. I've read theres not much difference between the two but personally i haven't regretted my purchase of the MS-1i over MS-1.

Yeah wondering what ill miss out on is basically the resaon for this question, i might just go with the MS1i's. They arent like freakishly big are they? also would you ever consider wearing them outisde? thanks for your replies btw.

May 29, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 13
I agree with MS-1i.  As for wearing them outside, I usually only do that at night.  
dt880smile.png

May 29, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #7 of 13
They look a bit silly but I have black hair so they kinda blend in. I also have the donut pads which make them look bigger. I mostly use them at work so i can hear people say things to me while i'm working since i have a pair of IEMs for outside. Although sometimes i take them outside with me on my breaks. Personally, i don't mind but at first it was a bit awkward.

One thing to note is there is no isolation at all with these headphones. Outside + any Alessandro headphone will result in interruptions to your music. If you're going to be using headphones a lot outside, have you considered IEMs? Take a look at the RE0. I'm not very familiar but i think thats around that price? I've heard good stuff about it. Theres definitely other options but you'll find comparison threads with similarly priced headphones :)

May 29, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 13
thanks, i have actually got a pair of decent IEM's already and was looking for something over ear really. i think ill get these and stick with the portapros for outside. =)

May 29, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 13
Yeah, the MS-1s really aren't designed for portable use. 

May 29, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #10 of 13
After buying the Grado GS1000s I love them. Haven't actually heard any other Grados, but I prefer their sound signature to any other headphone I've personally listened to.

May 29, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
After buying the Grado GS1000s I love them. Haven't actually heard any other Grados, but I prefer their sound signature to any other headphone I've personally listened to.

Uhm yeah, GS1k is really damn good headphone, but the sound sig is really different with MS1i, especially, because that Jumbo pad 
tongue_smile.gif

coming from MS1i, it should be MS-Pro 
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #12 of 13
First, welcome to head-fi.

Second, I've owned both, but didn't find a difference between the two for both analytical and causal listening and I find anything in the Prestige lineage is made for more casual/fun listening, and the reference line and up, well you get the idea .   Keep in mind, these are my ears talking so to speak.  The non "i" does takes take up less space and if noise leak isn't an issue for you, you'll be happy with them until you start up the Grado/Alessandro ladder of greatness. 

You're right, the Alessandro are cheaper abroad because Grado technically doesn't allow the sale of the Grado line outside of North America.  I would start out in the Forsale forums.  You may get lucky and purchase the SR225 for around the same price as what you would be spending on the new MS1, which by many is considered the "sweet spot" for price and sonic performance.

May 29, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Uhm yeah, GS1k is really damn good headphone, but the sound sig is really different with MS1i, especially, because that Jumbo pad 
tongue_smile.gif

coming from MS1i, it should be MS-Pro 
biggrin.gif

Ah, always good to know more about different headphones. Thank you 
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back