what to feed my micro dac (not ultra)
Apr 2, 2009 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kboe

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been looking for ways to boost my listening experience with my micro DAC and had some questions. As I understand it, the USB interface is limited to 16/44.1. But if I could find a way to play 24/96 files of my mac, I would have to use a Optical cable + iTunes, is this correct? If what i have just said is true, can the basic micro DAC convert a 24/96 signal or will it downsample to 16/44.1?
HELPPPPPPPPPP!!
confused_face(1).gif

Kevin

Apr 2, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 6
I asked Headroom the same question about my '06 Micro DAC a while back. They told me the 06 Micro Dac does support 24/96 files through optical and coaxial with no down sampling.

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been looking for ways to boost my listening experience with my micro DAC and had some questions. As I understand it, the USB interface is limited to 16/44.1. But if I could find a way to play 24/96 files of my mac, I would have to use a Optical cable + iTunes, is this correct? If what i have just said is true, can the basic micro DAC convert a 24/96 signal or will it downsample to 16/44.1?
HELPPPPPPPPPP!!
confused_face(1).gif

Kevin

dont forget to set the bit/khz _before_ you launch itunes.
this is done with the 'audio midi setup' app [spotlight]....
nice upgrade for the price of a cable and two mini adapters.
i use heat shrink to rigidly affix the adapters to the cable also.

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by pirate6955 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont forget to set the bit/khz _before_ you launch itunes.
this is done with the 'audio midi setup' app [spotlight]....
nice upgrade for the price of a cable and two mini adapters.
i use heat shrink to rigidly affix the adapters to the cable also.

I have played with this before so thanks for the reminder! Just waiting for the optical cable and adapter to get here from Headroom! Drool Drool Drool,
tongue_smile.gif

Kevin

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have played with this before so thanks for the reminder! Just waiting for the optical cable and adapter to get here from Headroom! Drool Drool Drool,
tongue_smile.gif

Kevin

in the mean time you can still set the bits and hz up to 24/96 even though the analog headfone output is selected. i dont know if it really upsamples before converting to analog in the mac or not for sure, but the settings are available like that, so it leads me to believe it does.

i havent played with it like that to know if it affects the sound at all. i am now though since i sent this. i guess this should be the default setting for all mac audio enthusiasts if this works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back