What to Expect HD600 vs ER6?
May 29, 2005 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DobsOnly

100+ Head-Fier
This place is killing me!
smily_headphones1.gif

I just ordered a pair of refurb HD600's. I had them saved in my cart from the Amazon sale and they just kept hauntingly calling - buy me, buy me..

Can I get some input on what to expect when compared to the Ety ER6 or similar earphone? In general I have really liked the detailed Ety Sound especially when amped. I'm hoping the HD600 will be a nice step up from the ER6 and a good open headphone to have.

Anyone use the HD600 with a portable player (Karma-IPOD)?

I figured if I don't care for them I can sell them without losing much.

Thanks for your input

DobsOnly

May 29, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 10
I think your ER6's are going to get very lonely soon
600smile.gif
. Depending on what you've got for an amp and how your MP3s are encoded I think that the biggest difference that you'll notice right away will be the low end grunt that the 600s have over the 6s.

Nate

May 29, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 10
well, I have the 650, and I thought they simply whooped er-6 ass. But out of a portable unamped . . . I'm personally against it. I was never fond of using high-impedance super source dependant phones this way (can't stand the sound, would rather use my portable phones), but I'm wierd. Others say they sound decent, but I'd probably just stick with the er-6, or upgrade to better porta-phone. (i.e. er4, e5, etc) But if you do go the route, maybe the H580 would be a better choice. Cheaper and some people can't tell the difference unless they have really good ears or use strong equipment.

May 30, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I think your ER6's are going to get very lonely soon
600smile.gif
. Depending on what you've got for an amp and how your MP3s are encoded I think that the biggest difference that you'll notice right away will be the low end grunt that the 600s have over the 6s.
Nate

I have a Cmoy that I am using now. I have a Pimeta that only needs the i/o jacks and case work done to complete it. I have the Gain on the Pimeta set ~6. This will be a good reason to get busy on it again.

I also just found out the wife and kids are getting me some Senn PX100's for fathers Day. I'm in deep trouble now
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DobsOnly
This place is killing me!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm hoping the HD600 will be a nice step up from the ER6 and a good open headphone to have.

Anyone use the HD600 with a portable player (Karma-IPOD)?

You did not take the next step up you took a giant leap. I use the 650s out of an ipod to a Total Airhead and it sounds pretty good. You WILL need an amp and use the line-out (if posible).

May 30, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 10
Well, I sometimes use my HD600s with my iAudio U2 (smaller than a pack of gum--not exactly V8 amping power), and I find it a...boring...experience. They sound good (if the Senn sound is "good") with a beefy amp, but alone... Well, they reproduce the music. But it lacks interest. I mean, they're like what, 600 ohms? It's just not happening.

This probably doesn't help at all, but best of luck
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 10
300 Ohms, actually. The Pimeta will probably not drive them well, but the beauty of the HD600 is that it's a headphone that improves as your system grows and improves. As you upgrade your sources and amps, the 600 will reveal each and every improvement in your signal path. Think of them as more of an investment. At the current refurbished prices, they're an amazing deal. I'm wondering if I should get one for gaming to replace these HD590's I'm using
600smile.gif

May 30, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
300 Ohms, actually. The Pimeta will probably not drive them well, but the beauty of the HD600 is that it's a headphone that improves as your system grows and improves. As you upgrade your sources and amps, the 600 will reveal each and every improvement in your signal path. Think of them as more of an investment. At the current refurbished prices, they're an amazing deal. I'm wondering if I should get one for gaming to replace these HD590's I'm using
600smile.gif

Now your scaring me, the Pimeta won't drive them well? Oh no, that means I'll have to build a Tube amp or M3.... Darn this place
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back