What to expect from going from HD600 to D2000/D5000?
Feb 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Poetik

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I own a pair HD600's and while I really do like their sound, sometimes I feel the need to have a a bit more impact on the lower end of the sound spectrum. Recently I've become VERY curious about how the denon's would sound. The denon's are known for their thunderous bass but I was also wondering about their soundstage too. I know that you can increase the denon's soundstage by buying the j$ pads and I also know that the denon's leak a lot of sound which somehow leads me to believe that they would have a bigger soundstage if that makes sense?

The thing is I've only used sennheiser headphones going from the EH350 to HD595 to HD600 in a span of over 5 years so I'm used to an open back. When I tried a pair of Shure840's which are closed back, I felt completely let down due to such a tiny soundstage. They sounded decent but it felt like I was trapped in a tiny box and surrounded by mediocre audio sound waves. I've talked to the original owner of those headphones and he has mentioned that the shure840's do have a smaller soundstage than most closed headphones so that might've been the case. Those headphones are long sold now but IIRC I felt that even my re0's had a bigger soundstage than them...

Can anyone lend me an opinion to put me out of my misery please? I really just don't want to be let down like the shures especially while spending $300-400.

Thanks,

-Cedric

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 15
If you like the basic signature of open-back Senn's, you will not find that in closed-back Denon's.

Also, while I'm not a big Senn fan, if I were to buy a Senn today, that would be HD600 over HD650 or even HD800.

If I were you, I would save up money to get a better source and amp, ultimately shooting for balanced HD800 with good cables. After that, you wouldn't need to feel jealous of the Uber Mega $$$ setups out there at all.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 15
Um, the main, quickly noticeable differences to me were a narrower soundstage in the denons, more energy in the denons, more bass in the denons and more detail in the senns.

The denon sound signature is kind of mid scooped, where senns are primarily mid-centric.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 15
Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of listening time on HD600s, so I can't compare them directly. But I can say that the Denon AH-D2000s, D5000s, and D7000s have the largest soundstage of any closed headphones that I have heard.

The only good open headphones I can really compare the D2000s to are my AKG K702s. While the D2000s have a good soundstage, they don't really compete with the K702s.

Therefore, I'd guess that the D2000s would be a step down from your HD600s in soundstage, but it seems like they'd definitely be better than the Shure 840s, based on how you described them. Personally I don't find the soundstage of the D2000s lacking, but I guess that's a matter of opinion and what you are used to.

And I would also agree that the D2000s have a "scooped" sound signature...the bass is heavy, and the treble is definitely there, but the mids hide a bit behind the thunderous bass.

Sorry, that probably wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped
confused_face.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 15
If you mod' the D5000's, however, you will find that the mid's do rise to most occasions and that the bass is no longer boomy. Add a pair of J$ pads and you also can improve the soundstage to an admirable extent. I have not heard the 600's, but find that the MD5000 kicks the ---- out of the old 650, paired with a Woo Audio WA6 on sheer musicality and fun-factor. (Or course, the Senn still wins when it comes to soundstage.)

Feb 13, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A closed can ultimately will have a different sound signature compared to open-back one so bear that in mind. The D5000 will be something like a side-grade to the HD600, trading midrange for bass.

Exactly...
making the D5000 sound more musical and fun.

Feb 14, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 15
arg, all these threads make me want to buy some D2000's and markl mod them

curse you, head-fi!

Feb 14, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 15
HD600 is a demanding headphone and once its demands are met, it performs at the very highest standard.

And I can assure you that its bass reproduction is one of the best in the dynamic headphone world, if not the best.

Start the upgrade business from source then an amp which can output 300-600ohms and listen to HD600, it will shatter your teeth with its controlled and awesome bass. lol

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD600 is a demanding headphone and once its demands are met, it performs at the very highest standard.

And I can assure you that its bass reproduction is one of the best in the dynamic headphone world, if not the best.

Start the upgrade business from source then an amp which can output 300-600ohms and listen to HD600, it will shatter your teeth with its controlled and awesome bass. lol

Hmm, I was under the impression that my amp was pretty decent (little dot mkiv). I know it's not a woo audio wa6 with full upgrades but I'm sure it's enough to pull out most of the potential of my hd600's. I guess I could always upgrade my emu 0404 but would that really make the hd600's shatter my teeth to crackhead-like levels? That doesn't sound like it's possible without completely distorting the whole sound spectrum by highly boosting the low sub frequencies.

Feb 14, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 15
I've also only had hd600's for 5+ years. I have always loved them and I still do, but they aren't exciting. The music is beautiful through these headphones, but when I want to listen to some rock, they aren't ideal. A week ago a friend brought over his d5000's and while I was listening I couldn't stop smiling. The bass was awesome and it was truly fun to listen to the music. I ended up ordering some 7000's and they should be here by Wednesday. I say go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back